A woman who jumped in the Milwaukee River earlier this month to evade police after she shoplifted at T.J. Maxx was arrested again for retail theft this week – this time for taking gin from Buy Rite Liquor in Wauwatosa.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
The 37-year-old homeless woman entered the store, 6002 W. North Ave., about 8:30 p.m. May 11. She was wearing a hood over her head and carrying a tote bag. She waited until the sales clerk was distracted by a customer, and she put three bottles of gin in her bag and hurriedly left the store.
Officers found her in the area. When she saw the squad car, she tried to run, but the bottles were clanking and weighing her down.
A check of her criminal history showed 14 prior arrests, including an open case with Milwaukee Police Department, so she was arrested for bail jumping. She said she was suicidal and shoplifted to keep busy so she would not harm herself. After she had jumped in the river a few nights earlier, she had been taken to Aurora Sinai Medical Center for a mental evaluation.
Her case was referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa columnist Peggy Dean, in her own words
- Man arrested for heroin possession at Best Buy in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa business Not Just Nuts closed after owner's death
- Wauwatosa's Montessori school will expand to serve middle-school grades
- Not Just Nuts closed, building owner looking for new tenant
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 21
- Artificial turf installed at Wauwatosa's Whitman Middle School soccer field
- Biz Buzz: Phase 2 Skateshop; Twirly Birds
- Twirly Birds vintage and hand-craft store moves to Waukesha
- Paving complete on North Avenue