A woman who jumped in the Milwaukee River earlier this month to evade police after she shoplifted at T.J. Maxx was arrested again for retail theft this week – this time for taking gin from Buy Rite Liquor in Wauwatosa.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
The 37-year-old homeless woman entered the store, 6002 W. North Ave., about 8:30 p.m. May 11. She was wearing a hood over her head and carrying a tote bag. She waited until the sales clerk was distracted by a customer, and she put three bottles of gin in her bag and hurriedly left the store.
Officers found her in the area. When she saw the squad car, she tried to run, but the bottles were clanking and weighing her down.
A check of her criminal history showed 14 prior arrests, including an open case with Milwaukee Police Department, so she was arrested for bail jumping. She said she was suicidal and shoplifted to keep busy so she would not harm herself. After she had jumped in the river a few nights earlier, she had been taken to Aurora Sinai Medical Center for a mental evaluation.
Her case was referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa (1)
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour (1)
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (11)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes