The Wauwatosa Economic Development Corp. will be out of money in little more than a month's time, WEDC board secretary Lisa Mauer told a Common Council Committee of the Whole last night.
The committee met to hear a consultant's presentation on recommendations for handling economic development within the city. One of the suggestions is to dissolve the WEDC in its existing form and move it under the direction of the city's Community Development Department.
However, the consultant recommended keeping the existing WEDC structure operating through 2009 to allow a transition period.
"The Common Council needs to immediately make a decision if it's going to provide any intermediate funding for WEDC," Mauer said. "We will be out of funds at the end of June."
WEDC board members hope to make some decisions as to how it will wrap up its operations at its next meeting Tuesday, May 19, but there are lots of unknowns at this time, she said.
Common Council President James Krol said a lot of discussion needs to take place between now and June and that a transition team needs to be appointed. No specific dates were set to deal with economic development issues.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)