Even though Mother's Day had officially ended an hour earlier, a mom living in the 12000 block of West Dearbourn Avenue will remember the day for years to come as the time when she fought off a burglar.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
The woman was half asleep on the couch with her sick 2-year-old son in her arms at about 1 a.m. Monday.
When she heard the screen door slam, she figured her husband had gone outside for a cigarette. But then she heard chairs being moved and drawers being opened. She put her son down on the couch and went into the kitchen, where she saw a man wearing a ski mask only a few feet away.
She quickly pushed him in the chest, and he fell onto the kitchen table, which collapsed under his weight. Frightened, he got up and ran out of the house.
When officers arrived, the mother and son were crying and visibly shaken. Her husband and other two children slept through the incident.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa reaches deal on Locust Street drop-off lot for students
- Consultant begins process to redesign Wauwatosa Village streetscape
- Wauwatosa farmers market opening for sixth season Saturday
- Milwaukee man charged for causing fatal rollover crash in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (4)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography