Wauwatosa Public Works Director William Kappel has been recognized as one of the top professionals in his field by the American Public Works Association.
Each year, the association selects 10 people from its more than 39,500 members. Kappel was recognized for his more than 40 years working in this sector from a sanitation worker in 1967 to his existing position. As Public Works Director, he oversees the Engineering, Parks and Forestry, Fleet and Traffic and Operations divisions and creates an annual capital plan that in 2009 amounts to $25 million.
Kappel counts as among an even smaller pool of winners from Wisconsin. He's only the 12th in the state to receive the award since its inception in 1960.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa students win Destination Imagination awards
- Celebrate Earth Day by sprucing up Tosa green spaces
- Wauwatosa United Methodist Church make PB&J sandwiches for meal program
- Business loan program use picks up with economy
- Fire Department hopes to start home safety visits
- Police Reports: April 22
- Longfellow Middle School's theater director retires on 'Disney's Little Mermaid, Jr.'
- Reading incentives help prevent 'summer slide' at Wauwatosa East
- Ask NOW: What can be done about pet owners that don't clean up 'droppings'?
- WPA seeking assistant program director