Wauwatosa Public Works Director William Kappel has been recognized as one of the top professionals in his field by the American Public Works Association.
Each year, the association selects 10 people from its more than 39,500 members. Kappel was recognized for his more than 40 years working in this sector from a sanitation worker in 1967 to his existing position. As Public Works Director, he oversees the Engineering, Parks and Forestry, Fleet and Traffic and Operations divisions and creates an annual capital plan that in 2009 amounts to $25 million.
Kappel counts as among an even smaller pool of winners from Wisconsin. He's only the 12th in the state to receive the award since its inception in 1960.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Taste of the Town: Eddie Martini's remains a classic stop
- Wauwatosa businesses recognized for employing people with disabilities
- Neighbors continue combating Wauwatosa Woman's Club parking proposal
- Wauwatosa's Center Street, lined with schools, could see sidewalks, bike lanes
- Wauwatosa negotiating financial aid for Underwood apartments
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Tosa East Players perform play-within-a-play in 'Curtains'
- What to expect as Wauwautosa YMCA changes hands
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Oct. 23