The Wauwatosa Budget and Finance Committee on Tuesday recommended rescinding more than $157,000 in property taxes due to errors in the assessment process for four properties: Bluemound Preschool, 822 N. 68th St., was assessed twice; Trinity Episcopal Church, 177 Church St., was supposed to be a tax-exempt property; officials from Froedtert Hospital, 9200 W. Wisconsin Ave., incorrectly reported the taxable space; and Sears/Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, 601 W. State St., failed to report the change of ownership to a tax-exempt organization.
Since errors were reported after receiving tax bills, the city can request the Wisconsin Department of Revenue charge back the non-city portion to other taxing entities. The city portion of the tax loss would be $48,787, which would be covered from budget surplus funds.
The Common Council is expected to take action on the issue Tuesday, May 5.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Commission surveying seniors
- Four similar thefts reported at Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Police Report: Jan. 29
- Meijer to open Wauwatosa store in August
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel
- Wauwatosa committee recommends e-cigarette restrictions
- Wauwatosa to offer 70 open enrollment seats; no openings through Chapter 220 or special education
- Wauwatosa creating Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee to improve facilities
- Pilgrim Lutheran School celebrates more than its name change since accreditation
- Wauwatosa firefighters union battles run up city's legal bills