The Wauwatosa Budget and Finance Committee on Tuesday recommended rescinding more than $157,000 in property taxes due to errors in the assessment process for four properties: Bluemound Preschool, 822 N. 68th St., was assessed twice; Trinity Episcopal Church, 177 Church St., was supposed to be a tax-exempt property; officials from Froedtert Hospital, 9200 W. Wisconsin Ave., incorrectly reported the taxable space; and Sears/Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, 601 W. State St., failed to report the change of ownership to a tax-exempt organization.
Since errors were reported after receiving tax bills, the city can request the Wisconsin Department of Revenue charge back the non-city portion to other taxing entities. The city portion of the tax loss would be $48,787, which would be covered from budget surplus funds.
The Common Council is expected to take action on the issue Tuesday, May 5.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Four-story apartment building proposed for Hall Automotive site
- Little Read Book in Wauwatosa has author signing Sunday
- Wauwatosa police say train death was accidental
- Wauwatosa School District to tighten security with added cameras, changed school entrances
- Wauwatosa Senior Center plans November events
- Biz Buz:: New brew at Ray's
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa School Board approves 1.43 percent levy reduction
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Oct. 30
- Wauwatosa committee rejects Woman's Club parking proposal