Wauwatosa's Common Council last night authorized staff to apply for a $2.8 million federal matching grant application that would be used to construct a business accelerator in the Burleigh Triangle, an area that city officials have wanted to see redeveloped for several years.
A business accelerator is a facility where entreprenuers can transform their ideas for technical innovations into actual products without having to invest a lot of money.
Community Development Director Nancy Welch has been working on a business plan, which would require the triangle - 70 acres bordered by Burleigh Street, U.S. Highway 45 and Currie Park - to be deemed a tax-incremental funding district. Taxes on the increase in value of the TIF district area pay off municipal bonds used to finance the redevelopment.
Welch foresees constructing the building on about six acres just south of the tip of the triangle off Highway 45, and she has been in talks with property owners about a long-term land lease. She has also received letters of interest from some potential tenants.
The project would allow Wauwatosa to become a player in the global marketplace while specifically targeting a problem area of land within the city, Welch said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa reaches deal on Locust Street drop-off lot for students
- Consultant begins process to redesign Wauwatosa Village streetscape
- Wauwatosa farmers market opening for sixth season Saturday
- Milwaukee man charged for causing fatal rollover crash in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (4)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography