A 37-year-old Milwaukee woman was arrested for pickpocketing after a group of people chased and surrounded her in Wauwatosa's Village area Friday.
According to a Wauwatosa Police report:
A woman who had hung her purse over the back of her chair at La Reve Patisserie & Café about 7 p.m., got worried after she noticed a couple sitting near her table leave without ordering any food. When she checked her purse, her wallet was gone. She and her friend quickly ran after them. Several people saw the chase and joined in. The man got away, but the crowd surrounded the woman in front of Vino 100 until police arrived.
The woman said she did not know the man and was not involved in the crime, she was only running because she had been swept up in the chase for the man. Then she started hyperventilating and Wauwatosa paramedics took her to Wisconsin Heart Hospital.
She made suicidal comments to the doctors, so she was taken to Milwaukee County Mental Health complex for treatment.
During the past few months, numerous credit cards and wallets have been taken from purses slung over the back of chairs at Wauwatosa dining establishments. In many cases, victims recalled seeing a couple matching the suspects' descriptions sitting nearby.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New UWM chancellor is high on Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Mary Linsmeier School closes in Wauwatosa after 50 years
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Dec. 18
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Dec. 18
- Older adults mutually gain from tutoring Milwaukee Public School students
- Wauwatosa Public Library kicks off new writing program
- Wauwatosa's Kathy's House sees rising demand for hospital hospitality
- Wauwatosa's State Street Station project sent back to committee
- In Our Schools: Dec. 18, 2014
- Wauwatosa West football field considered for $1.5 million artificial turf upgrade