A 37-year-old Milwaukee woman was arrested for pickpocketing after a group of people chased and surrounded her in Wauwatosa's Village area Friday.
According to a Wauwatosa Police report:
A woman who had hung her purse over the back of her chair at La Reve Patisserie & Café about 7 p.m., got worried after she noticed a couple sitting near her table leave without ordering any food. When she checked her purse, her wallet was gone. She and her friend quickly ran after them. Several people saw the chase and joined in. The man got away, but the crowd surrounded the woman in front of Vino 100 until police arrived.
The woman said she did not know the man and was not involved in the crime, she was only running because she had been swept up in the chase for the man. Then she started hyperventilating and Wauwatosa paramedics took her to Wisconsin Heart Hospital.
She made suicidal comments to the doctors, so she was taken to Milwaukee County Mental Health complex for treatment.
During the past few months, numerous credit cards and wallets have been taken from purses slung over the back of chairs at Wauwatosa dining establishments. In many cases, victims recalled seeing a couple matching the suspects' descriptions sitting nearby.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Three aquatic parks, including Hoyt Pool, to stay open through Monday
- 88-year-old passenger dies after three-car crash in Tosa
- Police say train accident was 'apparent suicide' by Oak Creek man
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects
- Ronald McDonald House in Wauwatosa to double number of families it serves
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options