The Georgia Nut Company has recalled bulk wholesale and retail products containing shelled pistachio nuts -- sold at Wauwatosa and Greenfield stores -- that have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
The company, based in Skokie, Ill., reported in a statement released Wednesday that it had identified the potential "as a result of a rigorous sampling and testing regimen it conducted with respect to shelled pistachios provided by a third-party supplier."
The voluntary recall includes the following products:
• Bulk Deluxe Mixed Nuts with shelled pistachios purchased at the Not Just Nuts store in Wauwatosa from Dec. 5, 2008, through March 24, 2009;
• Bulk or custom packaged Deluxe Mixed Nuts with shelled pistachios purchased at Georgia Nut retail stores in Skokie and Glenview, Ill., Georgia Nut's Chocolate House location in Greenfield and through the company's web site from Dec. 11, 2008 through March 23, 2009;
• Bulk or custom packaged Dry Roasted Shelled Pistachios purchased at Georgia Nut retail stores in Skokie and Glenview, Ill., Georgia Nut's Chocolate House in Greenfield and through the company's web site from Dec. 3, 2008, through March 23, 2009;
• Mixed Nuts Deluxe Roasted and Salted Bulk with shelled pistachios purchased from clear plastic bulk bins in the produce department at Dominick's Finer Foods stores in the Chicago area from Dec. 10, 2008, through March 25, 2009.
There have been no reports of illnesses linked to the products, the company reports. The recall is not in any way related to the recent recall of peanut and peanut butter products, according to the company. Officials add that the recall is a precautionary measure.
Consumers should not eat the recalled product and are urged to return any of the items purchased for a replacement or a refund.
A 24-hour consumer information line is available at (800) 914-4110. Go to www.gncinfo.com for more information.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public invited to Wauwatosa Village streetscape workshop
- Large crowd in Wauwatosa gymnasium discusses coyote attacks, seeks answers
- wnt_senior meals_1008
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Oct. 8
- In Our Schools: Oct. 8
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 27 - Oct. 3
- Bedbugs found in Wauwatosa juvenile court center (2)
- Wauwatosa police to try out body cameras on motorcycle patrols
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Oct. 8
- Nordstrom Mayfair announces gala, late-night party fundraising events