The Wauwatosa Police Department is investigating a sweepstakes offer that promised an 86-year-old Wauwatosa man $3.5 million if he would pay a processing fee.
On Monday, the resident received a call around noon from a woman saying she represented a Florida-based lottery and sweepstakes commission and that he was a winner. She went on to say members of her staff were in Racine handing out money to another winner and she needed to verify some personal information so they could visit him next. In addition, she told him to have a $970 check ready to cover the processing fee.
Wary of a scam, the resident called the Wauwatosa police. An officer called the number and talked to the woman, who hung up before the conversation was finished.
Within the next half hour, the woman called the resident back and directed him to go to Wal-Mart to buy a money order and send it to a Florida address. She said the "commission" would call her about her prize after it received the money.
Such processing fee scams that target seniors are on the rise, said Merry Noel Johnson, Hart Park Senior Center director. On Friday, she warned members of a scam by an organization that represents itself as a senior center association.
Seniors receive surveys via mail that ask some mundane questions about national politics and their lifestyles. Then it asks for a $27 processing fee to cover the cost of doing the study.
"If it sounds too good to be true, it is," she said. "If they ask for money, do not pay it."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- KFC in Wauwatosa robbed Wednesday morning, suspect still unknown
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11
- Business Notes: Feb. 11
- Fat Tuesday: How Wauwatosa celebrated
- Wauwatosa George Webb employee tricked into giving away $1,000 (1)