Only one 8th District aldermanic seat will be filled this month, Mayor Jill Dider said.
On Monday, an aldermanic selection committee appointed by the mayor will interview seven candidates to fill the seat left vacant when Tom Treis died in December. The second alderman for the district, Craig Maher, resigned this week and said he hoped two appointments to the council would be made from Monday night's interviews.
That will not be the case, Didier said. Instead, the city will follow the established procedure of advertising for applicants, creating a separate selection committee and conducting separate interviews.
"Those not selected for former Alderman Treis' seat are welcome to resubmit their information for the next selection committee," she said in an e-mail.
Because Maher had been appointed to the aldermanic selection committee for Treis, Dider has named Jill Organ - the last person appointed to the council - to serve on the panel.
Didier also has named the council members who will make up the selection committee to determine former Alderman Atis Purins' replacement: Aldermen James Krol, Linda Nikcevich, Michael Walsh, Brian Ewerdt and Donald Birschel.
The selection process is expected to begin after Treis' replacement is chosen by the council March 17.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction worker dies in machinery accident at Zoo Interchange project
- Wauwatosa East teacher Barb Bruesewitz named ProStart Teacher of the Year
- Wauwatosa Virtual Academy meets diverse need of learners
- Pancake breakfast Sunday will raise money for scholarships
- Soup sampling fundraiser benefits Wauwatosa Woman's Club
- Wauwatosa School Board asks lawmakers to increase public education funding
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Feb. 26
- Wauwatosa health officials say they are prepared to contain measles if it arrives
- Wauwatosa committee recommends denial of Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure request
- News & Notes: Feb. 26