Only one 8th District aldermanic seat will be filled this month, Mayor Jill Dider said.
On Monday, an aldermanic selection committee appointed by the mayor will interview seven candidates to fill the seat left vacant when Tom Treis died in December. The second alderman for the district, Craig Maher, resigned this week and said he hoped two appointments to the council would be made from Monday night's interviews.
That will not be the case, Didier said. Instead, the city will follow the established procedure of advertising for applicants, creating a separate selection committee and conducting separate interviews.
"Those not selected for former Alderman Treis' seat are welcome to resubmit their information for the next selection committee," she said in an e-mail.
Because Maher had been appointed to the aldermanic selection committee for Treis, Dider has named Jill Organ - the last person appointed to the council - to serve on the panel.
Didier also has named the council members who will make up the selection committee to determine former Alderman Atis Purins' replacement: Aldermen James Krol, Linda Nikcevich, Michael Walsh, Brian Ewerdt and Donald Birschel.
The selection process is expected to begin after Treis' replacement is chosen by the council March 17.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 10
- J. Crew Mercantile to open store at The Mayfair Collection (1)
- Art gallery featuring work of at-risk youth opens in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 3
- Wednesday house fire causes $100,000 in damage to Tosa home
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 30
- In Brief: July 30
- Streetscape project moves to Tosa's Common Council (2)
- Wauwatosa woman believed to be oldest in state
- A Wauwatosa artist's unique work will be on display at the Firefly Art Fair