After more than two hours of debate Tuesday night, the Wauwatosa Community Development Committee recommended Leff's Lucky Town receive a conditional-use permit that would allow it to renovate a former gas station on the adjacent property and add a beer garden with outdoor seating.
The recommendation stipulated an 11 p.m. closing time for the outdoor seating, hiring security to patrol the area during the summer and addressing parking issues on neighboring streets.
People for the project spoke to the civic-mindedness of owner Chris Leffler and their desire to see the blighted gas station property improved.
While a few others said they were completely against the project, many more neighbors said they would support Leff's expansion if the city and business owner could address parking issues, restrict the use of the outdoor seating and better patrol some of the bar-time problems like litter and public urination.
The committee forwarded the parking issues to the Traffic and Safety Committee, which meets in two weeks. The Common Council may take action on the conditional-use permit next Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting
- Thai-namite plans new location in Wauwatosa's former City Market building
- Business Notes: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa police say woman was dragged across parking lot in purse robbery (2)
- Thirsty Duck brings duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa (1)
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 2
- Gov. Scott Walker attends Wauwatosa bike race weeks before expected presidential run announcement (5)
- Kate Spade New York store to open at Mayfair Mall
- Wauwatosa Meetings: July 2