After more than two hours of debate Tuesday night, the Wauwatosa Community Development Committee recommended Leff's Lucky Town receive a conditional-use permit that would allow it to renovate a former gas station on the adjacent property and add a beer garden with outdoor seating.
The recommendation stipulated an 11 p.m. closing time for the outdoor seating, hiring security to patrol the area during the summer and addressing parking issues on neighboring streets.
People for the project spoke to the civic-mindedness of owner Chris Leffler and their desire to see the blighted gas station property improved.
While a few others said they were completely against the project, many more neighbors said they would support Leff's expansion if the city and business owner could address parking issues, restrict the use of the outdoor seating and better patrol some of the bar-time problems like litter and public urination.
The committee forwarded the parking issues to the Traffic and Safety Committee, which meets in two weeks. The Common Council may take action on the conditional-use permit next Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa students win Destination Imagination awards
- Celebrate Earth Day by sprucing up Tosa green spaces
- Wauwatosa United Methodist Church make PB&J sandwiches for meal program
- Business loan program use picks up with economy
- Fire Department hopes to start home safety visits
- Police Reports: April 22
- Longfellow Middle School's theater director retires on 'Disney's Little Mermaid, Jr.'
- Reading incentives help prevent 'summer slide' at Wauwatosa East
- Ask NOW: What can be done about pet owners that don't clean up 'droppings'?
- WPA seeking assistant program director