After more than two hours of debate Tuesday night, the Wauwatosa Community Development Committee recommended Leff's Lucky Town receive a conditional-use permit that would allow it to renovate a former gas station on the adjacent property and add a beer garden with outdoor seating.
The recommendation stipulated an 11 p.m. closing time for the outdoor seating, hiring security to patrol the area during the summer and addressing parking issues on neighboring streets.
People for the project spoke to the civic-mindedness of owner Chris Leffler and their desire to see the blighted gas station property improved.
While a few others said they were completely against the project, many more neighbors said they would support Leff's expansion if the city and business owner could address parking issues, restrict the use of the outdoor seating and better patrol some of the bar-time problems like litter and public urination.
The committee forwarded the parking issues to the Traffic and Safety Committee, which meets in two weeks. The Common Council may take action on the conditional-use permit next Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New UWM chancellor is high on Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Mary Linsmeier School closes in Wauwatosa after 50 years
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Dec. 18
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Dec. 18
- Older adults mutually gain from tutoring Milwaukee Public School students
- Wauwatosa Public Library kicks off new writing program
- Wauwatosa's Kathy's House sees rising demand for hospital hospitality
- Wauwatosa's State Street Station project sent back to committee
- In Our Schools: Dec. 18, 2014
- Wauwatosa West football field considered for $1.5 million artificial turf upgrade