After more than two hours of debate Tuesday night, the Wauwatosa Community Development Committee recommended Leff's Lucky Town receive a conditional-use permit that would allow it to renovate a former gas station on the adjacent property and add a beer garden with outdoor seating.
The recommendation stipulated an 11 p.m. closing time for the outdoor seating, hiring security to patrol the area during the summer and addressing parking issues on neighboring streets.
People for the project spoke to the civic-mindedness of owner Chris Leffler and their desire to see the blighted gas station property improved.
While a few others said they were completely against the project, many more neighbors said they would support Leff's expansion if the city and business owner could address parking issues, restrict the use of the outdoor seating and better patrol some of the bar-time problems like litter and public urination.
The committee forwarded the parking issues to the Traffic and Safety Committee, which meets in two weeks. The Common Council may take action on the conditional-use permit next Tuesday.
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 26
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: May 26
- Video: Reporter takes us along the 2016 Run Tosa Run
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Tips for finding the perfect bicycle
- Five biking routes to try in Wauwatosa and beyond this summer
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 19
- Campus News: May 19