An employee of Victoria's Secret at Mayfair Mall, 2500 N. Mayfair Road, was arrested for theft by fraud Feb. 13 for making $5,000 in false returns to support her new baby.
The 20-year-old Milwaukee woman used customer receipts to ring up false merchandise returns, then put the money on gift cards that she would sell for 80 percent of their value.
Management was tipped off when their gift card hotline got dozens of calls from the same phone number to check the balance on numerous cards between Dec. 10 and Jan. 10.
She was arrested after she returned from maternity leave. She told Wauwatosa Police that she was using the money to buy items for her baby. She also took $84 in lip gloss.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hawaiian grocery crowd-funds commercial kitchen
- Wauwatosa School District creates new mobile app
- Tosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014
- Business Notes: July 24, 2014
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa police link car thefts to those in Milwaukee County
- Hart Park Senior Center looks for new operator
- Former Wauwatosa priest appears in court after several missed appearances