An employee of Victoria's Secret at Mayfair Mall, 2500 N. Mayfair Road, was arrested for theft by fraud Feb. 13 for making $5,000 in false returns to support her new baby.
The 20-year-old Milwaukee woman used customer receipts to ring up false merchandise returns, then put the money on gift cards that she would sell for 80 percent of their value.
Management was tipped off when their gift card hotline got dozens of calls from the same phone number to check the balance on numerous cards between Dec. 10 and Jan. 10.
She was arrested after she returned from maternity leave. She told Wauwatosa Police that she was using the money to buy items for her baby. She also took $84 in lip gloss.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa hosts wedding expo for same-sex couples
- Wauwatosa's Underwood Elementary students donate candy to troops overseas
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa yoga and massage center aims to bring body and mind into focus
- In Wauwatosa, aging tailor joins forces with fashion-designing granddaughter
- WSTEM's outdoor classroom continues learning beyond classroom
- In Brief: Tosa Yoga hosts craft fair and Blood Center gains alliance
- Wauwatosa passes levy increase with four aldermen dissenting
- Wauwatosa man's dream 'Ability Center' could have $15 million annual impact, study finds
- Mystery Photo Contest: Nov. 20
- Duct tape fashion show raises money for Longfellow DI program in Wauwatosa