An employee of Victoria's Secret at Mayfair Mall, 2500 N. Mayfair Road, was arrested for theft by fraud Feb. 13 for making $5,000 in false returns to support her new baby.
The 20-year-old Milwaukee woman used customer receipts to ring up false merchandise returns, then put the money on gift cards that she would sell for 80 percent of their value.
Management was tipped off when their gift card hotline got dozens of calls from the same phone number to check the balance on numerous cards between Dec. 10 and Jan. 10.
She was arrested after she returned from maternity leave. She told Wauwatosa Police that she was using the money to buy items for her baby. She also took $84 in lip gloss.
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 1