An employee of Victoria's Secret at Mayfair Mall, 2500 N. Mayfair Road, was arrested for theft by fraud Feb. 13 for making $5,000 in false returns to support her new baby.
The 20-year-old Milwaukee woman used customer receipts to ring up false merchandise returns, then put the money on gift cards that she would sell for 80 percent of their value.
Management was tipped off when their gift card hotline got dozens of calls from the same phone number to check the balance on numerous cards between Dec. 10 and Jan. 10.
She was arrested after she returned from maternity leave. She told Wauwatosa Police that she was using the money to buy items for her baby. She also took $84 in lip gloss.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Is Currie Dog Park expanding?
- Business Notes: May 16
- Rios appointed to take open Tosa School Board seat
- Wauwatosa preservation panel approves plan for Eschweiler buildings
- Village of Wauwatosa starts work on new signage system
- ANEW offers seniors in need of care options
- Developer drops controversial Village project in Wauwatosa
- Baseball diamond project gets Wauwatosa panel's approval
- News & Notes: May 16
- Local bands compete in Launchpad event