A 15-year-old Milwaukee girl was arrested for vehicle theft at North 67th Street and Vista Avenue at 12:25 p.m. Wednesday.
Officers saw her driving with the windows down during a rain storm because the car's wipers did not work.
She lost control of the vehicles, hopped the curb and struck a parking sign. She turned out to be a runaway who had left her parents' home three weeks ago.
She said she took the vehicle from the man who had put her up at a Milwaukee hotel.
The girl was turned over to the Bureau of Child Welfare after she said her parents had been making her buy drugs for them and were beating her.
Records show her mother had been arrested for child abuse in the past.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wellness fair promotes healthy lifestyle among Wilson Elementary students
- In Our Schools: March 6
- Police Report: March 6
- Change aims for user-friendly government
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Common Council reconsiders smartphone stipend
- Audit exposes weaknesses in school district's special ed program
- City's private/public agency dies quietly
- City Administrator Archambo gets 3-year deal that will take him to $150,000