Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the city failing to maintain Pocket Park?
Issue: A reader who is a 15-year city resident asked us why the park, tucked just below St. Bernard Catholic Church at the northeast corner of Harwood and Wauwatosa avenues, has been neglected.
"We can't understand why the city would allow Pocket Park to deteriorate to this extent," they wrote. "Why is nobody else complaining?"
Status: According to those in the know, others have complained. Some improvements have been made to plantings and the seating/wall structures dotting the area, but more work, they said, needs to be done.
"The fact is that money is tight," said Parks and Forestry Superintendent Ken Walbrant. He said the small park has received some help in occasional work on plantings as well as last year's wall and seating improvements sponsored by the Eagle Scouts.
The Wauwatosa Beautification Committee, an independent group that tends to some of the city's planting needs, no longer cares for Pocket Park, said Mary Johnson, the group's vice president. She said the group's shrinking membership is a primary reason.
Hope for Pocket Park improvement may come from a plan that calls for a 2016 target to streetscape nearby State Street. Village Business Improvement District director Jim Plaisted said his hope is that Pocket Park and Root Common across the street could be part of the overall plan or at least be targeted for improvement around that same time.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?