Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the city failing to maintain Pocket Park?
Issue: A reader who is a 15-year city resident asked us why the park, tucked just below St. Bernard Catholic Church at the northeast corner of Harwood and Wauwatosa avenues, has been neglected.
"We can't understand why the city would allow Pocket Park to deteriorate to this extent," they wrote. "Why is nobody else complaining?"
Status: According to those in the know, others have complained. Some improvements have been made to plantings and the seating/wall structures dotting the area, but more work, they said, needs to be done.
"The fact is that money is tight," said Parks and Forestry Superintendent Ken Walbrant. He said the small park has received some help in occasional work on plantings as well as last year's wall and seating improvements sponsored by the Eagle Scouts.
The Wauwatosa Beautification Committee, an independent group that tends to some of the city's planting needs, no longer cares for Pocket Park, said Mary Johnson, the group's vice president. She said the group's shrinking membership is a primary reason.
Hope for Pocket Park improvement may come from a plan that calls for a 2016 target to streetscape nearby State Street. Village Business Improvement District director Jim Plaisted said his hope is that Pocket Park and Root Common across the street could be part of the overall plan or at least be targeted for improvement around that same time.
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?