Former Wauwatosa priest James Dokos pleaded not guilty this morning to a charge of felony theft. He is accused of embezzling more than $110,000 from Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church.
Dokos, 62, is now a Chicago resident. If found guilty, he could see up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines.
The criminal complaint in the case says Dokos inappropriately spent money from a church trust fund he was given control over between August 2008 and October 2012, using funds to pay his credit card bill and writing several checks from the fund to himself and family members.
According to the complaint, Dokos had been made trustee of the account in 2008 after the deaths of both funders of the trust, Ervin and Margaret Franczak. Margaret had named him as a successor.
Dokos is due back in court Dec. 16.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Chinese Lunar New Year celebration at Mayfair Sunday
- Police to warn against impaired driving on St. Patrick's Day
- Fundraiser covers funeral expenses for victim of Wauwatosa house fire
- News & Notes: March 5, 2015
- Wauwatosa Common Council approves rezoning for Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure
- In Our Schools: March 5
- Local developer sees opportunity for rebuild of Wauwatosa library, city hall
- Big talk on drugs has macro and micro perspectives at Wauwatosa East
- Wauwatosa library first in state to offer Hoopla video and music streaming
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?