An unidentified woman has been charged with animal cruelty after allegedly leaving her Doberman in the car for almost three hours in 88-degree weather while parked at Mayfair North Tower, 2600 N. Mayfair Road, on Tuesday, July 22.
Wauwatosa police observed the dog in distress around 5 p.m. on Tuesday after an anonymous witness called to report the incident. The dog was seen panting heavily and had defecated all over the car, the police report said.
In 90 degree heat, a car's internal temperature can reach 133 degrees after one hour, according to The Weather Channel's website.
The dog's owner, whose name was not be released because of the police department's redacting policy, returned to the car at 5:30 p.m. By that time, the police had already unlocked the car, removed the Doberman and placed him in a shaded area with water.
The woman said she had arrived at Mayfair North Tower at 2:45 p.m. for a work meeting she had at 3 p.m. with a potential client. The report said she had expected the meeting to last 10 minutes, which is why she parked in the "15-minute" parking space.
The owner said she knew her dog was in the car but didn't realize how hot it was outside. All four windows had been cracked 2 to 3 inches. There was reportedly no water in the car. The woman had brought her dog along in the car because "she was having work done at the house she is renting and she didn't have a crate to put him in," according to the report.
The woman said she had thought about checking her dog, but was afraid she would lose business if she left her work meeting early. The woman attributed the dog's defecation to her recently changing his food, the report said.
The Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission) kept the Doberman for overnight observation and a medical exam, setting conditions for the woman to pick it up the next day.
The owner is scheduled for court Monday, Aug. 25. Bond is set at $691.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (1)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23