Van Sang Vanmauipial of Milwaukee, has been identified as the 14-year-old boy who drowned in the Menomonee River in Hoyt Park Saturday, July 19, according to the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department.
Vanmauipial had been swimming in the river with his friends when he did not resurface about 3 p.m. Medical personnel tried to revive him before he was taken to the Children's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The Wauwatosa Police Department did not have additional information related to this case. The Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department has taken over the investigation, according to Lt. Christopher Fox, of the Wauwatosa police.
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomo
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 1
- Store owners, police weigh in on string of protests at Mayfair mall (21)
- Our newspaper website is changing