With all the recent bicycling buzz in Wauwatosa lately since the East Tosa Gran Prix, it is only fitting that another organized bike ride should hit the streets.
Only this one is not a race.
The Full Moon Bike Ride is a monthly bike ride that is as scenic as it is social. The leisurely 10-mile ride strolls through Wauwatosa neighborhoods, the Hank Aaron State Trail, down past the VA Medical Center and then stops for a view of the moon at Miller Park before turning back.
"It is so cool to bike through the old historic neighborhoods at night" said ride organizer Marty Vander Velde. "The houses are lit up, and you don't see that during the day. You see a whole different architecture by the headlight."
The slow-paced ride is an average of 10 to 12 miles per hour — a "no sweat" pace, Vander Velde added.
About 35 to 40 people attend. There is no cost or registration to participate. Just show up, he said.
Neighbors, friends and family are all invited to participate in the bike ride, which kicks off at West North Avenue and North 69th Street in the Wauwatosa city parking lot next to Rocket Baby Bakery.
Vander Velde organized the Full Moon Bike Rides last year in an effort to create community connectedness. He had also been bicycling with his family and realized how many more conversations they all had together because of it.
The entire ride takes about one hour. The group can be found fueling up at Cranky Al's before the ride and stopping for drinks and appetizers afterward at local watering holes such as Ruby Tap wine bar, Bel Air Cantina, Cafe Hollander or Hector's Mexican restaurant.
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Full Moon Bike Rides
■ 8 p.m. Saturday, July 12
■ 8 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 10 (super full moon)
■ 7 p.m. Monday, Sept. 8
■ 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 8
■ 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 6
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern