With all the recent bicycling buzz in Wauwatosa lately since the East Tosa Gran Prix, it is only fitting that another organized bike ride should hit the streets.
Only this one is not a race.
The Full Moon Bike Ride is a monthly bike ride that is as scenic as it is social. The leisurely 10-mile ride strolls through Wauwatosa neighborhoods, the Hank Aaron State Trail, down past the VA Medical Center and then stops for a view of the moon at Miller Park before turning back.
"It is so cool to bike through the old historic neighborhoods at night" said ride organizer Marty Vander Velde. "The houses are lit up, and you don't see that during the day. You see a whole different architecture by the headlight."
The slow-paced ride is an average of 10 to 12 miles per hour — a "no sweat" pace, Vander Velde added.
About 35 to 40 people attend. There is no cost or registration to participate. Just show up, he said.
Neighbors, friends and family are all invited to participate in the bike ride, which kicks off at West North Avenue and North 69th Street in the Wauwatosa city parking lot next to Rocket Baby Bakery.
Vander Velde organized the Full Moon Bike Rides last year in an effort to create community connectedness. He had also been bicycling with his family and realized how many more conversations they all had together because of it.
The entire ride takes about one hour. The group can be found fueling up at Cranky Al's before the ride and stopping for drinks and appetizers afterward at local watering holes such as Ruby Tap wine bar, Bel Air Cantina, Cafe Hollander or Hector's Mexican restaurant.
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Full Moon Bike Rides
■ 8 p.m. Saturday, July 12
■ 8 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 10 (super full moon)
■ 7 p.m. Monday, Sept. 8
■ 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 8
■ 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 6
- Social media story on the storms rolling through Milwaukee area
- Swipe cards are firm's expertise
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: July 21
- Wauwatosa residents reminded to use caution in construction zones (1)
- Wauwatosa mayor shuts down rumors of picketers affecting Village work
- Go Pro Video: Wauwatosa Full Moon Bike Rides promise moon gazing, cold drinks, camaraderie
- Inaugural 'Q and Brew' event raises money for Center Street Park (1)
- Business Spotlight: Cranky Al's has grown from desperation to a Wauwatosa institution (4)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: July21
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Lecture at library to address existentialism and anxiety