Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
Issue: A reader wants to know if any governmental regulation pertain to the use of LED lights in signs. "The optical store on Mayfair Road just south of North Avenue uses them and now the Lutheran Church at 121st Street and North Avenue has them in a sign," the reader wrote. "I think they are really hard on the eyes. I'm concerned about more and more signs using the extra bright LED lights."
Status: LED (light-emitting diode) lights are not prohibited by the city, said Karl Schreiber, development coordinator in the Building and Safety Division. He said the only concerns the city would have pertain to whether signage flashes or scrolls.
Industry professionals said that because LED is an emerging technology, it has not yet come under close scrutiny.
No plans exist to study LEDS, said Patricia McGillicuddy, manager of technology for the New York City-based Illuminating Engineering Society of North America.
"There needs to be a critical mass of government-led concerns for a study committee to be formed," she said. "We're not quite there yet."
Carrie Meadow, managing editor of LED Magazine, which covers the industry for professionals, said any regulations of LEDs will depend on local concerns on a case-by-case basis.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?