Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
Issue: A reader wants to know if any governmental regulation pertain to the use of LED lights in signs. "The optical store on Mayfair Road just south of North Avenue uses them and now the Lutheran Church at 121st Street and North Avenue has them in a sign," the reader wrote. "I think they are really hard on the eyes. I'm concerned about more and more signs using the extra bright LED lights."
Status: LED (light-emitting diode) lights are not prohibited by the city, said Karl Schreiber, development coordinator in the Building and Safety Division. He said the only concerns the city would have pertain to whether signage flashes or scrolls.
Industry professionals said that because LED is an emerging technology, it has not yet come under close scrutiny.
No plans exist to study LEDS, said Patricia McGillicuddy, manager of technology for the New York City-based Illuminating Engineering Society of North America.
"There needs to be a critical mass of government-led concerns for a study committee to be formed," she said. "We're not quite there yet."
Carrie Meadow, managing editor of LED Magazine, which covers the industry for professionals, said any regulations of LEDs will depend on local concerns on a case-by-case basis.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?