A garage fire that started at 8728 Jackson Park Blvd. about 7 p.m. Sunday, May 11, tore through the detached garage and destroyed two cars, Wauwatosa Fire Department Deputy Chief Kurt Dressnandt said.
The garage itself was significantly damaged as well. There was no dollar amount for the damage.
A man was welding in the two-car garage when a car caught on fire, Dressnandt said. When he tried to put out the fire, he burned his hand, which he later got treated at the hospital.
There were no other injuries.
Dressnandt said he was the first to arrive on the scene.
The fire had taken down a utility pole and there were live wires on the ground, delaying an aggressive fire fight.
We Energies was called to the scene to clean up the wires, and, Dressnandt said, the department was able to extinguish the fire within an hour, cleaning up and clearing the scene by 9 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: Jan. 29, 2015
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Two businesses in same building burglarized
- Wauwatosa Montessori students practice mind-body awareness with help from Growing Minds program
- Exercising eminent domain, Wauwatosa seeks warehouse property for school drop-off site
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Jan. 29
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Jan. 29
- Wauwatosa offers 'Citizen's Academy' course
- Wauwatosa schools consider largest investment yet in facilities; discuss replacing buildings