Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why aren't there turn signals at the intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee avenues?
Issue: A reader wants to know why the city has never installed turn signals at the intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee avenues.
"It is such a bad bottleneck there, especially during rush hour," he wrote.
Status: City Engineer Bill Wehrley said the city recognizes there are a number of intersections that need upgrading.
Wauwatosa follows an evaluation and approval process that includes observing and counting traffic that turns over multiple hours and multiple days, he said.
"We would then look at the hardware that is out there, have a design consultant design it and advertise for bids," Wehrley said. "Of course, it is contingent on the budget and whether the common council approves it."
Wehrley said new technology affects the way traffic is directed.
"Now there is microwave technology that detects traffic and regulates the signals instead of them being on a fixed time pattern," he said. "Intersections with the newer technology now can favor the higher volume of traffic on a main road over a lower volume road that intersects."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?