Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is planned for the abandoned car dealerships on Burleigh and 112th streets?
Issue: A reader wants to know if the former home of two car dealerships on the south side of Burleigh Street near 112th Street will be redeveloped.
Noting that construction is happening immediately to the east (for the new Meijer Department Store), the reader called the abandoned property "an eyesore." He wrote: "I thought I once heard that Micro Center purchased it. Is that still in the works?"
Status: Micro Center, an Ohio-based electronics retailer with stores in 15 other states, still owns the property. Repeated calls to Mike Papai, the company's vice present of marketing, went unanswered. Papai told NOW in late 2011 that while Micro Center saw Wauwatosa as an attractive location, the store probably would not be built in the near future.
Alderman Jeffrey Roznowski, chairman of the Community Development Committee, agreed.
"My sense is that Micro Center is a fairly conservative business and goes about this in a slow and measured way," Roznowski said.
Roznowski said he is confident the property will be developed, either through an ongoing relationship between city planners and the company or with the city using its Community Development Authority.
He emphasized the economic recovery and the city's approach to business expansion, including the recently opened Mayfair Collection northeast of Burleigh Street and Highway 45.
"It is tremendously important when you are a landlocked community," Roznowski said. In conjunction with Mayfair Mall, this creates an expanded destination."
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?