Hoping to slow traffic in the area, city officials are planning to work with the state Department of Transportation to construct a roundabout at Swan Boulevard and Pilgrim Parkway, an intersection where cars currently have to come to full stops.
Anticipating increased traffic from Innovation Campus, the roundabout is meant to allow traffic to flow more smoothly, while keeping speeds down.
"It's really easy to pick up speed there, and we want it to be a pedestrian-friendly area," Mayor Kathleen Ehley said during a District 1 town hall meeting April 23.
The project is estimated to cost $2.5 million, with the city bearing the brunt of the cost, though the exact breakdown has not been determined, City Administrator Jim Archambo said.
Bidding for the project is planned for April, with construction beginning in March for completion by September.
City officials held an open house with information about the project Tuesday, April 29, which few residents attended. A video simulation showed a two-lane roundabout, and pedestrian crossings east and west of the roundabout with flash beacons.
Also part of the changes, the sidewalks in the area would be widened from six feet to eight. The speed limit on Swan Boulevard would be posted at 35 miles per hour.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Our Schools: Sept. 25
- Correction: Volume of water possibly held by basins is 315 million gallons
- Cheveux brings fresh style to Wauwatosa's salon market
- Woman arrested in Wauwatosa for assault after allegedly punching a juvenile
- Five-story apartment complex proposed for Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa development for Mayfair Road comes back in modified form
- Wauwatosa's Hoppe Tree Service reuses diseased, dying trees in new Urban Wood Lab
- Wauwatosa Woman's Club tries again for parking expansion
- News and Notes
- Most Wauwatosa schools exceed state expectations on district report card