Hoping to slow traffic in the area, city officials are planning to work with the state Department of Transportation to construct a roundabout at Swan Boulevard and Pilgrim Parkway, an intersection where cars currently have to come to full stops.
Anticipating increased traffic from Innovation Campus, the roundabout is meant to allow traffic to flow more smoothly, while keeping speeds down.
"It's really easy to pick up speed there, and we want it to be a pedestrian-friendly area," Mayor Kathleen Ehley said during a District 1 town hall meeting April 23.
The project is estimated to cost $2.5 million, with the city bearing the brunt of the cost, though the exact breakdown has not been determined, City Administrator Jim Archambo said.
Bidding for the project is planned for April, with construction beginning in March for completion by September.
City officials held an open house with information about the project Tuesday, April 29, which few residents attended. A video simulation showed a two-lane roundabout, and pedestrian crossings east and west of the roundabout with flash beacons.
Also part of the changes, the sidewalks in the area would be widened from six feet to eight. The speed limit on Swan Boulevard would be posted at 35 miles per hour.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new math requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drivers
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31