West Teacher receives journalism grant
The Milwaukee Press Club Endowment Board recently awarded a High School Journalism Grant for $500 to Wauwatosa West High School social studies teacher Christopher Lazarski.
Lazarski will use the grant to purchase a professional grade DSLR camera lens; currently, the program has two cameras but only one lens that is adequate for taking pictures in the lowlight high school environment.
In his grant application, Lazarski stated, "The students who participate as photographers in the extracurricular journalism program are not only taught how to take pictures, but are also taught how to be reporters and how to make their images tell stories. Students who act as photojournalists develop the skill of interpreting situations, gathering information, choosing and capturing moments that tell a larger story and then presenting their work to a public audience. The skills of a photojournalist are the same skills students need to be successful in their core academic courses. Photojournalism skills are thinking skills."
The MPCE was established by members of the Milwaukee Press Club in 1973 to promote journalism excellence. To be considered for a grant, a school's journalism program should be aimed at educating students about journalism, provide hands-on experience and encourage students to pursue careers in journalism, communications or a related field. According to MPCE guidelines, grant money may be used to purchase equipment (computers, cameras), training (workshops, field trips) or production needs (web hosting, paper).
Wauwatosa Education Association recognizes 2014 Friends of Education recipients
The Wauwatosa Education Association announced the 2014 Friends of Education Award recipients. The recipients — school staff and volunteers — are being honored for their contribution to the education of students in the Wauwatosa School District. The honorees will be recognized at an awards presentation Tuesday, April 29, at 4:30 p.m. at Wauwatosa West High School, 11400 W. Center St.
The 2014 Friends of Education Award recipients follow:
· Andy Barnes, West High School
· Tiffany Bianchi, Longfellow Middle School
· Roy Brent, Whitman Middle School
· Julie Borum, Plank Road School
· James Ciha, WSTEM School
· Joanna Clementi, Wauwatosa Montessori School
· Darin Gordon, Detention Center School
· Robert Heivilin and Andrea Vetsch, Underwood Elementary School
· Jackie Costa-Helbig and Bob Helbig, Madison Elementary School
· Bennie Johnson, Jr., East High School
· Diane Jolie, Lincoln Elementary School
· Lisa Maglio, Washington Elementary School
· Deb Palec, Jefferson Elementary School
· Marie Rider, Roosevelt Elementary School
· Michele Schultz, Eisenhower Elementary School
· Terri Suchy, McKinley Elementary School
· Hanife Veshi-Heller and Jim Heller, Wilson Elementary School
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa (1)
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour (1)
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (11)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes