Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why does the city charge local schools for the use of Hart Park facilities?
Issue:A reader wonders why schools have to pay a fee to use Hart Park's facilities, and why the city charges "so much."
Status: City officials said there is a rental fee charged for Hart Park facilities — including the stadium and concession stand along with baseball diamonds and tennis courts — used by local schools or other groups because the park budget is separate from the city budget.
Superintendent of Parks, Recreation and Forestry Ken Walbrant and his boss, Department of Public Works Director Bill Porter, said fees are charged to cover the costs of regular maintenance of the facilities as well as to develop a funding source for larger capital improvements. For example, the artificial stadium turf that is specially laid out for a variety sports is scheduled to be replaced within the next 10 years. They anticipate the cost to be between $750,000 and $1 million.
"The regular maintenance requires labor and equipment, so that factors into our costs and therefore the rental fees," Walbrant said.
Stadium rentals generate about $125,000 annually, he said.
Rental costs and potential revenue from concessions vary depending on many factors, said Mary Clare Schuller, who handles the rental contracts.
"It's a complicated formula based on who is renting, the specific facilities rented and the length of time of the rental," she said.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are some right lanes striped?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why aren't my neighborhood's trees being trimmed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?