Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why does the city charge local schools for the use of Hart Park facilities?
Issue:A reader wonders why schools have to pay a fee to use Hart Park's facilities, and why the city charges "so much."
Status: City officials said there is a rental fee charged for Hart Park facilities — including the stadium and concession stand along with baseball diamonds and tennis courts — used by local schools or other groups because the park budget is separate from the city budget.
Superintendent of Parks, Recreation and Forestry Ken Walbrant and his boss, Department of Public Works Director Bill Porter, said fees are charged to cover the costs of regular maintenance of the facilities as well as to develop a funding source for larger capital improvements. For example, the artificial stadium turf that is specially laid out for a variety sports is scheduled to be replaced within the next 10 years. They anticipate the cost to be between $750,000 and $1 million.
"The regular maintenance requires labor and equipment, so that factors into our costs and therefore the rental fees," Walbrant said.
Stadium rentals generate about $125,000 annually, he said.
Rental costs and potential revenue from concessions vary depending on many factors, said Mary Clare Schuller, who handles the rental contracts.
"It's a complicated formula based on who is renting, the specific facilities rented and the length of time of the rental," she said.
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?