Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is the latest on traffic signals along North Avenue?
Issue: Two North Avenue intersections are on the mind of a reader who asked how long it would take for the new traffic signals to be in effect at 116th Street and why the signals at 104th Street aren't in flash mode overnight when traffic is very light.
Status:The 116th street signals recently were fully installed. The intersection also includes improved pedestrian signals and the addition of a left-turn lane from northbound 116th Street to eastbound North Avenue.
Wisconsin Department of Transportation officials said the work is related to the upcoming Zoo Interchange project because it anticipates the result of more traffic on and around North Avenue.
As for 104th Street, Wauwatosa Department of Public Works Director Bill Porter, checking with Traffic and Electrical Superintendent Randy Michelz, said equipment age is the major factor in not having overnight flashing lights at the intersection.
"We don't have any immediate plans regarding changing that equipment," Porter said. He noted that the current signals for vehicle and pedestrian traffic work well at the intersection, which serves a busy Mayfair Mall for most of each day.
In a memo to Porter responding to this question, Michelz noted: "This (North Avenue at 104th Street) is another very old intersection that will need to be upgraded in the near future."
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can homeowners dispute sidewalk replacement decisions?
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?