Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is the latest on traffic signals along North Avenue?
Issue: Two North Avenue intersections are on the mind of a reader who asked how long it would take for the new traffic signals to be in effect at 116th Street and why the signals at 104th Street aren't in flash mode overnight when traffic is very light.
Status:The 116th street signals recently were fully installed. The intersection also includes improved pedestrian signals and the addition of a left-turn lane from northbound 116th Street to eastbound North Avenue.
Wisconsin Department of Transportation officials said the work is related to the upcoming Zoo Interchange project because it anticipates the result of more traffic on and around North Avenue.
As for 104th Street, Wauwatosa Department of Public Works Director Bill Porter, checking with Traffic and Electrical Superintendent Randy Michelz, said equipment age is the major factor in not having overnight flashing lights at the intersection.
"We don't have any immediate plans regarding changing that equipment," Porter said. He noted that the current signals for vehicle and pedestrian traffic work well at the intersection, which serves a busy Mayfair Mall for most of each day.
In a memo to Porter responding to this question, Michelz noted: "This (North Avenue at 104th Street) is another very old intersection that will need to be upgraded in the near future."
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?
- Ask Now: Will the city fix 68th Street between State Street and Milwaukee Avenue?
- Ask Now: Why is there snow on the sidewalk on a stretch along Potter Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will North Avenue west of Mayfair Road be fixed?
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: How does the Peony Restaurant stay open?
- Ask Now: What is happening to the lagoon area north of Burleigh Street on the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: What does the city earn, or lose, on its recycling program?
- Ask Now: Why are North Avenue bike lanes wearing away so soon?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?