Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the state patrol stationed on 68th Street near Bluemound?
Issue: A reader wrote to us saying, "There's a location on 68th (520 N. 68thSt.) just two houses from the intersection of Bluemound where I see a police vehicle parked, facing traffic, just about 100 percent of the time, almost always manned."
Calling it an odd location to catch speeders from a private driveway, the reader asked, "What circumstances allow the Police Department to station a car on that spot of land?"
Answer: It is a state patrol assigned to the Wauwatosa residence of Gov. Scott Walker. Police presence there dates back to at least 2011, around the time protesters picketed Walker's home after Act 10 was passed. Neighbors alerted Ask NOW in September, 2011, to find out why a patrol was parked at that time in a cul de sac west of 68th Street, directly across from the home. A state dispatcher told us it was for security reasons.
For this latest inquiry, the governor's press secretary, Tom Evenson, directed us to contact his counterpart, Peg Schmitt, at the Department of Transportation. Schmitt declined to answer specific questions, saying further information would "compromise" security.
We then asked Evenson about specific, non-security details such as what the police presence costs Wisconsin taxpayers. He replied, "We don't comment on security-related matters."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are U-turns at stoplights still illegal?
- Ask Now: Why are some streets covered with gravel?
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why is Underwood Creek bright green?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to the traffic light at Harwood and Glenview avenues?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?