Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the state patrol stationed on 68th Street near Bluemound?
Issue: A reader wrote to us saying, "There's a location on 68th (520 N. 68thSt.) just two houses from the intersection of Bluemound where I see a police vehicle parked, facing traffic, just about 100 percent of the time, almost always manned."
Calling it an odd location to catch speeders from a private driveway, the reader asked, "What circumstances allow the Police Department to station a car on that spot of land?"
Answer: It is a state patrol assigned to the Wauwatosa residence of Gov. Scott Walker. Police presence there dates back to at least 2011, around the time protesters picketed Walker's home after Act 10 was passed. Neighbors alerted Ask NOW in September, 2011, to find out why a patrol was parked at that time in a cul de sac west of 68th Street, directly across from the home. A state dispatcher told us it was for security reasons.
For this latest inquiry, the governor's press secretary, Tom Evenson, directed us to contact his counterpart, Peg Schmitt, at the Department of Transportation. Schmitt declined to answer specific questions, saying further information would "compromise" security.
We then asked Evenson about specific, non-security details such as what the police presence costs Wisconsin taxpayers. He replied, "We don't comment on security-related matters."
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why is Underwood Creek bright green?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to the traffic light at Harwood and Glenview avenues?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are some right lanes striped?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why aren't my neighborhood's trees being trimmed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?