Running unopposed for the Wauwatosa School District seat Thomas Jarosz is vacating, is Kristy Casey. Although she will be a newcomer to the board, she is not a newcomer to the district.
The election is April 1.
Casey has served seven years on the Governance Council for the charter Wauwatosa STEM school for seven years, including last year as president, and is a founding member of the school.
She is chairwoman of the Curriculum and Innovations Committee for the school, and said she worked closely with the district to bring STEM programming to the district's two middle schools, Longfellow and Whitman.
She also was on the original planning committee for what has come to be called the University Lab School, a charter school of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, a project of the Forest Exploration Center.
Casey, 43, has a seventh-grade son in the STEM program at Longfellow, and a fifth-grade son and a third-grade son in the STEM elementary school.
A certified teacher, Casey taught in elementary schools in the Chicago area and in Elm Grove for seven years, and last year completed a master's degree in Educational Leadership at National-Louis University, and has a principal's license, among other certifications.
Last year, she said, she gave a presentation on governance and sustainability before the Wisconsin Charter Schools Association.
Casey said she has no particular agenda, and her educational interests are not to limited to charter schools. She sees herself as a supporter of the district, which "is a great school district."
"I really, really am about creating opportunities for students," she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- J. Crew Mercantile to open store at The Mayfair Collection (1)
- Art gallery featuring work of at-risk youth opens in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 3
- Wednesday house fire causes $100,000 in damage to Tosa home
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 30
- In Brief: July 30
- Streetscape project moves to Tosa's Common Council (2)
- Wauwatosa woman believed to be oldest in state
- A Wauwatosa artist's unique work will be on display at the Firefly Art Fair
- First Responders Fest "humbling" for Wauwatosa's emergency crew leaders