Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
Issue: A reader wants to know why the recently reconstructed signaled intersection of Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive includes only left and right turns for westbound vehicles exiting Research Drive and eastbound vehicles leaving Potter Road.
"There is no allotment to go straight across," she wrote. She noted the temporary light system during construction provided straight-across access.
Status: Officials said the intersection has a history of allowing only turns to minimize traffic in the residential area west of Highway 100 and to efficiently clear traffic coming out of the research park.
Wauwatosa Department of Public Works Director Bill Porter looked into the matter with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
"The DOT said the turn-only lanes have been there because residents west of Highway 100 did not want drivers cutting through their neighborhood," Porter said.
Those neighbors are represented by Alderman Tim Hanson, who said residents want to maintain a quiet neighborhood.
"Underwood School is right down the street and there is a sidewalk nearby, but generally there are no other sidewalks," Hanson said. "Residents want to keep it that way."
Hanson said even though residents don't want their neighborhood to be a shortcut, there may be drivers who still choose to travel straight across Highway 100 for convenience.
"There will always be people who look for the path of least resistance," he said.
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?