Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
Issue: A reader wants to know why the recently reconstructed signaled intersection of Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive includes only left and right turns for westbound vehicles exiting Research Drive and eastbound vehicles leaving Potter Road.
"There is no allotment to go straight across," she wrote. She noted the temporary light system during construction provided straight-across access.
Status: Officials said the intersection has a history of allowing only turns to minimize traffic in the residential area west of Highway 100 and to efficiently clear traffic coming out of the research park.
Wauwatosa Department of Public Works Director Bill Porter looked into the matter with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
"The DOT said the turn-only lanes have been there because residents west of Highway 100 did not want drivers cutting through their neighborhood," Porter said.
Those neighbors are represented by Alderman Tim Hanson, who said residents want to maintain a quiet neighborhood.
"Underwood School is right down the street and there is a sidewalk nearby, but generally there are no other sidewalks," Hanson said. "Residents want to keep it that way."
Hanson said even though residents don't want their neighborhood to be a shortcut, there may be drivers who still choose to travel straight across Highway 100 for convenience.
"There will always be people who look for the path of least resistance," he said.
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are U-turns at stoplights still illegal?
- Ask Now: Why are some streets covered with gravel?
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why is Underwood Creek bright green?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to the traffic light at Harwood and Glenview avenues?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?