Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Can I turn right on red
over railroad tracks?
Issue: A reader asked us about the right-turn-only lane northbound on 68th Street, which requires crossing the railroad tracks in order to proceed onto eastbound State Street. He pointed out a stop sign posted just south of the tracks.
"If I stop there, is it legal to turn right on red by going over the tracks?" he wrote.
Status: As posted, a right turn on red is allowed and will continue to be allowed, Police Lt. Chris Fox said.
Fox was intrigued by the question. He visited the site last week with a department captain.
After observing the situation, they felt it could be dangerous if more than one vehicle at a time crossed the tracks, waiting at a yield sign for eastbound State Street traffic to clear. Their concern generated a request for the Department of Public Works to consider a "No Turn on Red" sign.
On Tuesday, Fox said City Engineer Bill Wehrley explained that would not be necessary.
Synchronized traffic and railroad signals upon the approach of a train would prevent eastbound traffic from delaying the right turns.
Fox passed along Wehrley's advice to drivers.
"He stressed that motorists still remain vigilant about not stopping on the tracks while waiting for traffic turns," Fox said. "That vigilance, coupled with the coordinated traffic and rail light system, should make negotiating the intersection safe for motorists."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the wall at the Greenfield Ave. bridge finished?
- Ask NOW: Building once housed pediatric clinic, soon to be home to law firm
- Ask NOW: Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a cul de sac at Capitol and Lisbon?
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?
- Ask NOW: Should Tosans be concerned about coyotes?
- Ask NOW: Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair Mall closed?
- Ask NOW: Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
- Ask NOW: When will the house near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
- Ask NOW: How does the city decide which sidewalk squares to replace?
- Ask NOW: When will the city provide more off-street parking for North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will the Watertown Plank Road reconstruction project include converting the coal plant?