A man walking his dog at 7 a.m. Nov. 24 noticed something odd at the intersection of Church Street and Menomonee River Parkway.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
He saw a man, slumped over the wheel of a car facing the wrong direction in the turn lane. The car had three flat tires, was leaking oil and was running. The man knocked on the window, noticing the driver was unresponsive.
More people came around and finally got the driver out of the vehicle. When police showed up, the man started walking away. Bystanders told officers, "There he goes," and the officers had to chase him down. One of the witnesses told police they thought the driver was "three sheets to the wind."
When officers grabbed the driver, he nearly fell over. He initially told police that he wasn't driving and the vehicle wasn't his. He then changed his story to say the vehicle belonged to a friend who was driving.
After questioning, he admitted to driving. He said he was out drinking with a friend until 2:30 a.m. The friend gave him a ride home and that was the last memory he had.
He was arrested for drunken driving, fourth offense.
He refused a breath test and blood draw results are pending.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa students win Destination Imagination awards
- Celebrate Earth Day by sprucing up Tosa green spaces
- Wauwatosa United Methodist Church make PB&J sandwiches for meal program
- Business loan program use picks up with economy
- Fire Department hopes to start home safety visits
- Police Reports: April 22
- Longfellow Middle School's theater director retires on 'Disney's Little Mermaid, Jr.'
- Reading incentives help prevent 'summer slide' at Wauwatosa East
- Ask NOW: What can be done about pet owners that don't clean up 'droppings'?
- WPA seeking assistant program director