Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is going to happen to the property that had been occupied by Colony Camera?
Issue: A reader pointed out that the camera store at 8807 W. North Ave. has been closed for several years. She said it was "sad," because it was a helpful store. "How are the owners able to continue to hold on to the building and land without any business?" she wondered. "Are they ever going to consider selling?"
Status: The answer to the first question remains a mystery since the owner, recorded with the city as Christine Whitstone, did not answer her business phone. A outgoing voicemail message asks for a name and message from those interested in the business or its contents and ends with, "We'll try to get back to you."
The camera shop and adjoining property at 2289 Lundquist Ave., which has been a physician office and residence, is listed in the Colony Camera window as for sale for $899,000 "as is."
Wauwatosa Director of Development Paulette Enders said about six to 10 inquiries regarding the property have come to her department over the past two years. The city works to connect potential buyers with business property owners. The city also offers special financing.
"Typically, you never like to see a vacant business along a business district," Enders said. "It creates a gap in the retail trade."
Colony Camera's telephone number is (414) 258-9770.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can homeowners dispute sidewalk replacement decisions?
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are U-turns at stoplights still illegal?