Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair closed?
Issue: A reader who lives near Mayfair mall asked why there is construction going on at the east end of the mall at 104th Street.
Status: Mayfair is installing large storm sewers in the area in preparation for the major construction of a new Nordstrom department store, said Steve Smith, mall manager.
"This is a precursor to the Nordstrom project," Smith said. "Signs direct people to 105th Street."
Smith said the traffic pattern change will last only until mid- to late-November.
Exiting traffic at 105th Street is directed to only turn right.
Just before the current construction, another reader wanted to know why there have been "right turn only" rules in place between 3 and 6 p.m. at the 105th Street Mayfair exit, even though they seem not to be enforced.
Smith said the mall placed the 3 to 6 p.m. signage years ago because a single-lane exit causes a bottleneck.
"Someone who wants to turn left there and can't because of cross traffic holds up traffic behind them," he said. "That's why we made multiple lanes for left and right turns at 104th."
Police Department Lt. Gerald Witkowski said the "right turn only" signs at Mayfair, and others like them that are on private business properties, are not enforced by the city.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?