Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair closed?
Issue: A reader who lives near Mayfair mall asked why there is construction going on at the east end of the mall at 104th Street.
Status: Mayfair is installing large storm sewers in the area in preparation for the major construction of a new Nordstrom department store, said Steve Smith, mall manager.
"This is a precursor to the Nordstrom project," Smith said. "Signs direct people to 105th Street."
Smith said the traffic pattern change will last only until mid- to late-November.
Exiting traffic at 105th Street is directed to only turn right.
Just before the current construction, another reader wanted to know why there have been "right turn only" rules in place between 3 and 6 p.m. at the 105th Street Mayfair exit, even though they seem not to be enforced.
Smith said the mall placed the 3 to 6 p.m. signage years ago because a single-lane exit causes a bottleneck.
"Someone who wants to turn left there and can't because of cross traffic holds up traffic behind them," he said. "That's why we made multiple lanes for left and right turns at 104th."
Police Department Lt. Gerald Witkowski said the "right turn only" signs at Mayfair, and others like them that are on private business properties, are not enforced by the city.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can homeowners dispute sidewalk replacement decisions?
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?