Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair closed?
Issue: A reader who lives near Mayfair mall asked why there is construction going on at the east end of the mall at 104th Street.
Status: Mayfair is installing large storm sewers in the area in preparation for the major construction of a new Nordstrom department store, said Steve Smith, mall manager.
"This is a precursor to the Nordstrom project," Smith said. "Signs direct people to 105th Street."
Smith said the traffic pattern change will last only until mid- to late-November.
Exiting traffic at 105th Street is directed to only turn right.
Just before the current construction, another reader wanted to know why there have been "right turn only" rules in place between 3 and 6 p.m. at the 105th Street Mayfair exit, even though they seem not to be enforced.
Smith said the mall placed the 3 to 6 p.m. signage years ago because a single-lane exit causes a bottleneck.
"Someone who wants to turn left there and can't because of cross traffic holds up traffic behind them," he said. "That's why we made multiple lanes for left and right turns at 104th."
Police Department Lt. Gerald Witkowski said the "right turn only" signs at Mayfair, and others like them that are on private business properties, are not enforced by the city.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are some right lanes striped?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why aren't my neighborhood's trees being trimmed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?
- Ask Now: Will the city fix 68th Street between State Street and Milwaukee Avenue?
- Ask Now: Why is there snow on the sidewalk on a stretch along Potter Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will North Avenue west of Mayfair Road be fixed?
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?