Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair closed?
Issue: A reader who lives near Mayfair mall asked why there is construction going on at the east end of the mall at 104th Street.
Status: Mayfair is installing large storm sewers in the area in preparation for the major construction of a new Nordstrom department store, said Steve Smith, mall manager.
"This is a precursor to the Nordstrom project," Smith said. "Signs direct people to 105th Street."
Smith said the traffic pattern change will last only until mid- to late-November.
Exiting traffic at 105th Street is directed to only turn right.
Just before the current construction, another reader wanted to know why there have been "right turn only" rules in place between 3 and 6 p.m. at the 105th Street Mayfair exit, even though they seem not to be enforced.
Smith said the mall placed the 3 to 6 p.m. signage years ago because a single-lane exit causes a bottleneck.
"Someone who wants to turn left there and can't because of cross traffic holds up traffic behind them," he said. "That's why we made multiple lanes for left and right turns at 104th."
Police Department Lt. Gerald Witkowski said the "right turn only" signs at Mayfair, and others like them that are on private business properties, are not enforced by the city.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?