Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
Issue: A Twitter user wrote to us wondering why someone "tore down that sweet, old farmhouse on Milwaukee Avenue" near Wauwatosa East High School.
Status: The 1,400-square-foot home that stood just east of the Wauwatosa Woman's Club headquarters at the southeast corner of Milwaukee Street and Wauwatosa Avenue was purchased and razed by the club. The organization intends to turn the land into an expanded parking lot, doubling its current 17 spaces.
The project got a 3-3 vote at the Plan Commission to change the zoning from residential to business. A public hearing will be held at the Nov. 5 Common Council meeting before it goes to the Community Development Committee. A final vote could occur at the Nov. 19 Common Council meeting.
Tammy Szudy, the city's principal planner in the Planning and Zoning Division, said because neighbors protested the project, a state statute kicks in that requires a three-fourths approval by the council.
Woman's Club President Susan McTavish said the organization purchased the property after being approached by the seller. The club needs parking, and it also will benefit area churches and schools.
"We have had a great relationship with our community," McTavish said, noting that the club has a parking reciprocation agreement with neighboring organizations.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?