Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
When will the house under construction near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
Issue: A reader asked about the project, noting it "seems to be at a complete standstill with no activity since winter. It has only a house wrap and open windows with construction material and debris all over the property."
Status: The project is actually an expansion and renovation of a house that was built in 1916 and left vacant for the last eight years. New homeowner Matthew Kirklewski bought the property at 7527 W. Wright St. a little over a year ago and is doing most of the work himself.
The retired Milwaukee firefighter has gutted the building and expanded the dormered house to a complete second floor. He began adding siding and cedar shingles and plans to raze and replace the garage. Inside, he is building an open-concept first floor and a two-bedroom, two-bath second floor.
Kirklewski said he is using as much older material as possible to reflect the home's era and his own taste.
"I want to have everything done on the outside by winter so I can finish off the inside," Kirklewski said. He hopes to complete his move with his wife and daughter by next spring.
"Neighbors have stopped by and they have been very supportive," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?