Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
When will the house under construction near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
Issue: A reader asked about the project, noting it "seems to be at a complete standstill with no activity since winter. It has only a house wrap and open windows with construction material and debris all over the property."
Status: The project is actually an expansion and renovation of a house that was built in 1916 and left vacant for the last eight years. New homeowner Matthew Kirklewski bought the property at 7527 W. Wright St. a little over a year ago and is doing most of the work himself.
The retired Milwaukee firefighter has gutted the building and expanded the dormered house to a complete second floor. He began adding siding and cedar shingles and plans to raze and replace the garage. Inside, he is building an open-concept first floor and a two-bedroom, two-bath second floor.
Kirklewski said he is using as much older material as possible to reflect the home's era and his own taste.
"I want to have everything done on the outside by winter so I can finish off the inside," Kirklewski said. He hopes to complete his move with his wife and daughter by next spring.
"Neighbors have stopped by and they have been very supportive," he said.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?