Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
When will the house under construction near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
Issue: A reader asked about the project, noting it "seems to be at a complete standstill with no activity since winter. It has only a house wrap and open windows with construction material and debris all over the property."
Status: The project is actually an expansion and renovation of a house that was built in 1916 and left vacant for the last eight years. New homeowner Matthew Kirklewski bought the property at 7527 W. Wright St. a little over a year ago and is doing most of the work himself.
The retired Milwaukee firefighter has gutted the building and expanded the dormered house to a complete second floor. He began adding siding and cedar shingles and plans to raze and replace the garage. Inside, he is building an open-concept first floor and a two-bedroom, two-bath second floor.
Kirklewski said he is using as much older material as possible to reflect the home's era and his own taste.
"I want to have everything done on the outside by winter so I can finish off the inside," Kirklewski said. He hopes to complete his move with his wife and daughter by next spring.
"Neighbors have stopped by and they have been very supportive," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?