Two Whitman Middle School students recorded what they considered to be a prank, but the video clip landed both in hot water at school and led police to a burglary arrest.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The student and his group of friends decided to "smack cam" a student at Whitman Middle School. They videotaped themselves hitting another student in the head with an apple.
When administrators found out the next day, Sept. 16, they summoned the two boys to the principal's office. One was absent from school that day; the other admitted to videotaping the incident.
On Sept. 18, officers received a call that someone matching the absent boy's description had been seen near a home in the 10100 block of West Sunset Avenue that had been burglarized Sept. 16 — the same day the boy was absent from school.
The boy was arrested and his backpack was searched; officers found an iPod matching one that had been taken from the home inside. The boy admitted he had burglarized the home.
He gave back everything he had taken.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late-falling leaves a headache for Wauwatosa
- Birschel says he will not run for re-election
- Police: Man slumped over in broken car arrested for OWI
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Scam perpetrators use identity of local company
- This Week in Tosa History: Dec. 5
- Property tax bills hit mailboxes next week
- Skate park fundraising reaches $240,000
- More than 1,000 go blue for Sebena
- New Swan Blvd. soon to open as Mayfair work ends north of I-94