Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What's going on with the former Smoothie Stop on North Avenue?
Issue: A reader wants to know if the Smoothie Stop at 12217 W. North Ave. will ever reopen after being closed for a long time. "It's been closed with no hint of impending sale or lease," our reader noted. "At what point can the city step in and get the owner to do something with that property?"
Status: It appears unlikely this location will return to being a smoothie or ice cream store. The former Smoothie Stop (and Baskin Robbins that preceded it) has been taken over by the dental office of Leonard Machi, who owns the building and expanded his practice into the space.
Machi has not responded to repeated calls placed by NOW Newspapers for information.
Several city officials said they were unaware that the old signage is still in place.
Karl Schreiber, development coordinator in the Development Department's Building and Safety Division, said once a business vacates a property, signage should be removed.
Development Director Paulette Enders said the city takes steps to remove signage once it receives a formal complaint. Anyone who wishes to file such a complaint should contact the Building and Safety Division at (414) 479-8907 or go to www.wauwatosa.net.
Get in touch
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email to email@example.com or visit WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?
- Ask NOW: Should Tosans be concerned about coyotes?
- Ask NOW: Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair Mall closed?
- Ask NOW: Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
- Ask NOW: When will the house near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
- Ask NOW: How does the city decide which sidewalk squares to replace?
- Ask NOW: When will the city provide more off-street parking for North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will the Watertown Plank Road reconstruction project include converting the coal plant?
- Ask NOW: Loose board on railroad overpass worries reader
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cleaning storm sewer grates?
- Ask NOW: Is there a limit to how many rummage sales one residence can hold?
- Ask NOW: Why are dogs allowed at Hart Park playground?
- Ask NOW: Why did the launch site for Wauwatosa's fireworks move?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the dip at northbound ramp at Highway 45 and Swan Boulevard being fixed?
- Ask NOW: Will the land to the west of the recently completed Hart Park bridge at 70th Street be re-landscaped?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue be repaved and its bridges rebuilt?
- Ask NOW: Why are dogs allowed at the Tosa Farmer's Market?