Optometrist's daughter sells children's glasses in Wauwatosa
Business personal for mother of child with eye condition
As the daughter of an optometrist who owned and operated two local optical stores, Cindy Seemann grew up around the family eye care business. It wasn't until she had a family of her own, however, that the business became personal.
"In 2003, we found out that my infant son had an eye condition and needed glasses," Seemann said. "There wasn't a lot of selection for babies, so finding him the right kind was a long, drawn-out process. When I joined the business in 2005 I resolved that I could use that experience to make this practice easier for other parents of young children."
Today, Seemann caters to these clients through Kid's Optique, a division of Design Vision Optical. Kid's Optique is a full-service optical retailer Seemann opened in Wauwatosa earlier this summer. The division, Seemann said, carries more children-size frames than any optical business in the state.
Seemann's West North Avenue store also stocks eyeglass and sunglass frames, contact lenses, sports goggles and optical accessories. They also conduct eye examinations.
"Our unmatched selection for the whole family — from babies through to seniors — really sets us apart from the competition," Seemann said. "Where another optical retailer may have two pairs of frames that would fit a petite woman, we carry a dozen different frames for her size, in styles that include Coach, Ray-Ban and Silhouette. These are all the nice brands you'll find in Mayfair Mall, but without the high-end prices.
Seemann said her boutique also uses cutting edge technology to produce the best fit in eyewear.
"Design Vision uses an iPad electrical measuring device, which takes accurate measurements for the optical lab to customize prescription lenses."
A longtime Wauwatosa resident, Seemann considers it a dream come true to run her business in a town she calls home. The operation's location also allows the certified American Board of Opticianry retailer to be closer to clients and business associates.
"We service a lot of Tosa-area ophthalmologists, who write prescriptions, but don't sell eyeglasses," Seemann said. "There's a pediatrician's office across the street and Children's Hospital is just five minutes away. It's great to be in a place that's easily accessible to families with children, who need us."
For more information, call (414) 774-0200.
JUST THE FACTS
Business name: Design Vision Optical
Address: 8720 W. North Ave. in Wauwatosa
Phone: (414) 774-0200
Owner: Cindy Seemann
Type of business: Optical retailer
Pearls of wisdom: Buy the brands you love locally
- Business Spotlight: Cranky Al's has grown from desperation to a Wauwatosa institution
- Business Spotlight: Duckpin bowling alley has been an exercise in creative thinking
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: The Flower Lady stays true to the Village, and finds room to grow
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Perspective Design specializes in being a generalist
- Business Spotlight: Tosa Bowl and Bun
- Business Spotlight: For Loriena Harrington, the land kept calling her back
- Colonel Hart's is a bar that will make you feel like family
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Legacy Gym, it's not just about abs
- Business Spotlight: The Wauwatosa Historical Society keeps up to date with the past
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor found his way by a fortunate accident
- Business Spotlight: On a quest for good brews, they found a World of Beer
- Business Spotlight: Jenny Kyle Smith hits the sweet spot after years of struggle
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Kirchen's Car Sick Art is more art than cars
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa-based Irish Fest Center does more than put on a summer festival
- Business Spotlight: Sheeley Service puts the zip in your beverage of choice
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Dog trainer finds it's people who need aid
- Business Spotlight: Russ Drover finds beauty in the original
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: When he left the corporate world, he made new arrangements
- Business Spotlight: For Ruckus & Glee toy store in Wauwatosa, it's all about play