Optometrist's daughter sells children's glasses in Wauwatosa
Business personal for mother of child with eye condition
As the daughter of an optometrist who owned and operated two local optical stores, Cindy Seemann grew up around the family eye care business. It wasn't until she had a family of her own, however, that the business became personal.
"In 2003, we found out that my infant son had an eye condition and needed glasses," Seemann said. "There wasn't a lot of selection for babies, so finding him the right kind was a long, drawn-out process. When I joined the business in 2005 I resolved that I could use that experience to make this practice easier for other parents of young children."
Today, Seemann caters to these clients through Kid's Optique, a division of Design Vision Optical. Kid's Optique is a full-service optical retailer Seemann opened in Wauwatosa earlier this summer. The division, Seemann said, carries more children-size frames than any optical business in the state.
Seemann's West North Avenue store also stocks eyeglass and sunglass frames, contact lenses, sports goggles and optical accessories. They also conduct eye examinations.
"Our unmatched selection for the whole family — from babies through to seniors — really sets us apart from the competition," Seemann said. "Where another optical retailer may have two pairs of frames that would fit a petite woman, we carry a dozen different frames for her size, in styles that include Coach, Ray-Ban and Silhouette. These are all the nice brands you'll find in Mayfair Mall, but without the high-end prices.
Seemann said her boutique also uses cutting edge technology to produce the best fit in eyewear.
"Design Vision uses an iPad electrical measuring device, which takes accurate measurements for the optical lab to customize prescription lenses."
A longtime Wauwatosa resident, Seemann considers it a dream come true to run her business in a town she calls home. The operation's location also allows the certified American Board of Opticianry retailer to be closer to clients and business associates.
"We service a lot of Tosa-area ophthalmologists, who write prescriptions, but don't sell eyeglasses," Seemann said. "There's a pediatrician's office across the street and Children's Hospital is just five minutes away. It's great to be in a place that's easily accessible to families with children, who need us."
For more information, call (414) 774-0200.
JUST THE FACTS
Business name: Design Vision Optical
Address: 8720 W. North Ave. in Wauwatosa
Phone: (414) 774-0200
Owner: Cindy Seemann
Type of business: Optical retailer
Pearls of wisdom: Buy the brands you love locally
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Designing, contracting go hand in hand for French Country Pine
- Sisters took a chance on Wauwatosa Ruby Tap, and soon there will be one in Mequon
- Business Spotlight: Salamander changed shape, until it took on women's clothing
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa's Fair Trade is a retail shop in the 'helping people' sector
- Christian book business in Wauwatosa is a gem, but not a small one
- Wauwatosa's Bloom Floral does wedding flowers with a conscience
- Business Spotlight: Fiberwood Studio is not just a yarn shop
- Pet project in Wauwatosa pays off for owners and animals alike
- Finding new life for old buildings
- Wauwatosa business coach helps small companies
- Therapist suggests making massage priority
- Family's sausage business a hit at farmers markets
- Tosa attorneys come from entrepreneurial families
- Soaps & Scents sniffs out a new opportunity
- Even technophobs can have a better tech experience, owner says
- Platinum Salon relies on intimate, family atmosphere
- Tosa Wine & Spirits staff enjoys its new home
- Move to massage therapy good for the soul, Parlour owner says
- Designing durable landscapes a way of life for Tosa man
- Mobility store says it puts client needs before profit