Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Who is responsible for clearing rain grates?
Issue: A reader wrote to us saying that they noticed many city rain/sewer grates are obstructed with leaves and other debris and that some people actually try to stuff the debris into the grate rather than sweep it away. "Are there any guidelines?" the reader asked.
Status: Keeping grates free of debris is addressed in the regular year-round street-sweeping operation, Director of Public Works Bill Porter said. He pointed out that natural debris and other obststructions include spring seeds, fall leaves and winter ice.
Porter said the city encourages residents who are concerned to help by removing debris they see clogging grate entrances.
"If they find clogged grates, they can help by removing whatever is there and putting it on the parkway or putting it in their regular trash," Porter said. "Of course, they can always call the city if there is a big problem, and we will address that."
One warning: Porter said it is not a good idea to go out in an active storm to remove the debris.
"Standing on or near metal grates in a lightning storm is not a good idea," he said.
Get in touch
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?