Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Who is responsible for clearing rain grates?
Issue: A reader wrote to us saying that they noticed many city rain/sewer grates are obstructed with leaves and other debris and that some people actually try to stuff the debris into the grate rather than sweep it away. "Are there any guidelines?" the reader asked.
Status: Keeping grates free of debris is addressed in the regular year-round street-sweeping operation, Director of Public Works Bill Porter said. He pointed out that natural debris and other obststructions include spring seeds, fall leaves and winter ice.
Porter said the city encourages residents who are concerned to help by removing debris they see clogging grate entrances.
"If they find clogged grates, they can help by removing whatever is there and putting it on the parkway or putting it in their regular trash," Porter said. "Of course, they can always call the city if there is a big problem, and we will address that."
One warning: Porter said it is not a good idea to go out in an active storm to remove the debris.
"Standing on or near metal grates in a lightning storm is not a good idea," he said.
Get in touch
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email to email@example.com or visit WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomo
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?