Why are dogs allowed at
the Tosa Farmer's Market?
Question: A reader feels that dogs should not be allowed at the open-air Tosa Farmer's Market because they are not allowed inside grocery stores or restaurants. The reader asked, "Is there an ordinance prohibiting pets in outdoor markets?"
Answer: There is no city ordinance, but there is a new Pooch Policy being enforced by the market's organizers, said Maureen Millmann, president of the Tosa Farmer's Market.
The policy calls for keeping one's dog on a short leash and close to the owner's side, keeping the pet away from produce and other food, and making sure canines are friendly to other dogs and people. Per the policy, the market also reserves the right to ask visitors with dogs to leave the market should their pets become unruly.
"We know people love to bring their dogs to the market, and there are a lot of entry points to the area, so it would be hard for us to completely control that," Millmann said. "We know not everyone likes dogs, but this is a public space."
Millmann added that the market works closely with the Wauwatosa Health Department.
"This policy helps us maintain a comfortable setting for everyone," she said.
Get in touch
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email to email@example.com or visit WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?