Why are dogs allowed at
the Tosa Farmer's Market?
Question: A reader feels that dogs should not be allowed at the open-air Tosa Farmer's Market because they are not allowed inside grocery stores or restaurants. The reader asked, "Is there an ordinance prohibiting pets in outdoor markets?"
Answer: There is no city ordinance, but there is a new Pooch Policy being enforced by the market's organizers, said Maureen Millmann, president of the Tosa Farmer's Market.
The policy calls for keeping one's dog on a short leash and close to the owner's side, keeping the pet away from produce and other food, and making sure canines are friendly to other dogs and people. Per the policy, the market also reserves the right to ask visitors with dogs to leave the market should their pets become unruly.
"We know people love to bring their dogs to the market, and there are a lot of entry points to the area, so it would be hard for us to completely control that," Millmann said. "We know not everyone likes dogs, but this is a public space."
Millmann added that the market works closely with the Wauwatosa Health Department.
"This policy helps us maintain a comfortable setting for everyone," she said.
Get in touch
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can homeowners dispute sidewalk replacement decisions?
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?