Is it OK to drive my vehicle in bicycle lanes?
Issue: A reader said that the new bicycle lane markings such as those on Center Street and Wauwatosa Avenue are confusing and asked if it is OK to drive in those lanes.
Status: In a word, no. A motorized vehicle is not allowed to drive continuously over the marked bicycle lanes except to cross over to legal street parking or to turn at areas designated by a broken, or dotted, line.
Bill Porter, director of public works, and Barry Weber, chief of police, said the lanes were approved by the Common Council and installed late last summer to make the city more bicycle friendly. The markings conform to national standards of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
Porter and Weber said they occasionally hear from bicyclists who praise the new lanes and report that some drivers do not comply.
Weber said drivers must signal and yield to bicyclists in front of them or at their side before pulling over or turning. Bicyclists also must yield to vehicles that are clearly ahead of them. Fines range from $150 to $175.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why is Underwood Creek bright green?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to the traffic light at Harwood and Glenview avenues?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are some right lanes striped?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why aren't my neighborhood's trees being trimmed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?