Is it OK to drive my vehicle in bicycle lanes?
Issue: A reader said that the new bicycle lane markings such as those on Center Street and Wauwatosa Avenue are confusing and asked if it is OK to drive in those lanes.
Status: In a word, no. A motorized vehicle is not allowed to drive continuously over the marked bicycle lanes except to cross over to legal street parking or to turn at areas designated by a broken, or dotted, line.
Bill Porter, director of public works, and Barry Weber, chief of police, said the lanes were approved by the Common Council and installed late last summer to make the city more bicycle friendly. The markings conform to national standards of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
Porter and Weber said they occasionally hear from bicyclists who praise the new lanes and report that some drivers do not comply.
Weber said drivers must signal and yield to bicyclists in front of them or at their side before pulling over or turning. Bicyclists also must yield to vehicles that are clearly ahead of them. Fines range from $150 to $175.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?