The Wauwatosa School District reviewed a proposed 2013-14 school calendar that would have classes begin Sept. 3, the day after Labor Day, and end June 17, 2014.
With Easter 2014 falling late - April 20 - spring break would be the week preceding it, from April 14 to 18, instead of the more common week following Easter. Winter break would begin Dec. 23, with school resuming Jan. 2.
The planned calendar has 180 days of teaching. Including snow make-up days and teacher in-service days, there are 192 scheduled days in the calendar.
Elementary school conferences would be held Oct. 10 and 15. Middle school conferences would fall on Oct. 15 and 23, while high school conferences are scheduled for Oct. 17 and 22. All conferences are scheduled from 4:30 to 8 p.m.
New teachers would be welcomed, and mentors trained, beginning Aug. 19.
By state law, public school districts cannot begin school before Labor Day - an important weekend to tourism interests. At last week's school board meeting, Superintendent Phil Ertl expressed frustration at the requirement, as it reduces flexibility in setting the district's calendar.
The school board will take action on the calendar at its meeting Monday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Oct. 8
- Nordstrom Mayfair announces gala, late-night party fundraising events
- Block Legal Services opens in Wauwatosa
- DA's office will not bring criminal charges against officers who shot and killed man with sword (1)
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Mayfair mall, Susan G. Komen host series of breast cancer events
- Wauwatosa schools celebrate Walk to School Day on Oct. 7
- Wauwatosa Fire Department earns accreditation, and is now more data-driven than ever
- A tour of homes with a flavor of architecture and history
- Wauwatosa West High School homecoming is student-run this year