Wauwatosa police say a 38-year-old Milwaukee man was evading them - hopping fences, running through yards, ditching evidence and nearly getting away - until canine officer Addy got a hold of his right leg.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Employees of Sendik's, 8616 W. North Ave., called police about the man after they witnessed strange behavior on his part at 4:50 p.m. Jan. 6. The man was wearing a coat much too large for him, tried purchasing a bottle of distilled water and then said he didn't have the 99 cents to pay for it.
As soon as he left, the employees reviewed video surveillance footage that showed him spiriting off three bottles of liquor, a total value of $82.
A nearby officer was there in seconds. He spotted the man walking on the sidewalk, and asked him to answer some questions.
"I just saw the guy run that way. He was wearing a black trench coat," was the response from the 38-year-old. The officer asked him to stop and answer some questions. The man's walk broke into a run.
Multiple officers went to the scene, trying to catch him.
Eventually, an officer cornered him in an alley. The 38-year-old put his hand in his coat and started walking toward the officer. He did not comply when an officer ordered him to put his hands in the air.
Canine Addy was loosed upon the man. The dog sunk his teeth into his leg, causing him to fall to the ground.
The report goes on to say that the man admitted to the theft, as well as to having used alcohol, marijuana and cocaine that day, once at the police station. A background check revealed three felony drug offenses, armed robbery, felony eluding, two weapons offenses, 10 retail thefts and six resisting or obstructing arrests. He also had a credit card and ID, neither of which belonged to him.
- Mystery Photo Contest: June 2
- School Notes: June 2
- Wauwatosa Public Forum: Commercial vehicle ordinance should be preserved (3)
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: June 2
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa (3)
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour (1)
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (25)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26