A common scam, in which a caller claiming to be a relative jailed in another country, found its way into a Wauwatosa woman's home, thankfully without success, last week.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The woman got a call Sept. 6 from someone posing as her niece, phoning to say that she was in jail in Peru and needed bail money. A subsequent call, allegedly from the girl's attorney, asked for $1,746 in bail money.
The woman called a family member, who is an attorney and confirmed that her niece was not in Peru. Her family member told her not to send any money.
The phone number that was used by the callers was blocked, so police were unable to track the source.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa firefighters captured on video battling car flames
- German retailer VOM FASS opens at Mayfair Mall
- Wauwatosa man involved in fatal Dane County crash
- Wauwatosa Holiday Happenings 2015
- Stone Creek Coffee looks to open Harwood Avenue location in Tosa
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Dec. 7
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Business Notes: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa unveils convenient, affordable water online water bill payment options
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Nov. 26