Meijer, the big-box grocery and department store retailer, is seeking approval from the city to build a store at 11123 W. Burleigh Road, on the site of the old Stroh Die Casting plant.
The site is on the south side of Burleigh, between 112th Street and the railroad tracks to the east.
Alderman Brian Ewerdt, who represents the area, said the store would be 157,000 square feet, with 65 percent dedicated to selling groceries and 35 percent to selling other retail items.
Meijer hopes to open the store early next year.
The chain is making its first foray into Wisconsin, having recently proposed to other sites in the Milwaukee area. Grafton this week approved a store, while Franklin advanced a plan but has not given final approval for the development.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Is Currie Dog Park expanding?
- Business Notes: May 16
- Rios appointed to take open Tosa School Board seat
- Wauwatosa preservation panel approves plan for Eschweiler buildings
- Village of Wauwatosa starts work on new signage system
- ANEW offers seniors in need of care options
- Developer drops controversial Village project in Wauwatosa
- Baseball diamond project gets Wauwatosa panel's approval
- News & Notes: May 16
- Local bands compete in Launchpad event