Meijer, the big-box grocery and department store retailer, is seeking approval from the city to build a store at 11123 W. Burleigh Road, on the site of the old Stroh Die Casting plant.
The site is on the south side of Burleigh, between 112th Street and the railroad tracks to the east.
Alderman Brian Ewerdt, who represents the area, said the store would be 157,000 square feet, with 65 percent dedicated to selling groceries and 35 percent to selling other retail items.
Meijer hopes to open the store early next year.
The chain is making its first foray into Wisconsin, having recently proposed to other sites in the Milwaukee area. Grafton this week approved a store, while Franklin advanced a plan but has not given final approval for the development.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern
- In Our Schools: March 26, 2015
- Hidden Tosa: The sordid life story of garbage
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: March 26