Meijer, the big-box grocery and department store retailer, is seeking approval from the city to build a store at 11123 W. Burleigh Road, on the site of the old Stroh Die Casting plant.
The site is on the south side of Burleigh, between 112th Street and the railroad tracks to the east.
Alderman Brian Ewerdt, who represents the area, said the store would be 157,000 square feet, with 65 percent dedicated to selling groceries and 35 percent to selling other retail items.
Meijer hopes to open the store early next year.
The chain is making its first foray into Wisconsin, having recently proposed to other sites in the Milwaukee area. Grafton this week approved a store, while Franklin advanced a plan but has not given final approval for the development.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Thousands of items on sale at Wauwatosa Public Library in late October
- Wauwatosa School District to host 'Autism Insights and Strategies'
- Public invited to name baby giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 8
- In Brief: Nordstrom fundraising; Village streetscaping
- Wauwatosa School Board outlines district development plan (1)
- Proposed Wauwatosa budget would result in lower taxes (1)
- Aurora Health Care plans $35 million improvements at Wauwatosa campus
- In speech at Wauwatosa West, urban farmer Will Allen stresses need for sustainable food systems
- Public invited to Wauwatosa Village streetscape workshop