Janus Massage & Yoga will move from Vliet Street to 68th Street if its plan meets final city approval.
The Plan Commission was OK with it Monday, despite surprisingly stiff opposition from community members.
Jody Janus operates the studio, which hopes to move to 822-826 N. 68th St., part time. She meets with about 15 customers once a week, one person at a time, and would hold six, one-hour small group sessions a week. The building she wants to move into formerly housed a daycare, with a lot of people coming and going, and Janus stressed the "low impact" nature of her business and the light need for parking space.
But parking, and the "duplication" of an existing business nearby - Healing Arts Studio at 830 N. 68th St. - were issues for a number of residents.
"I'm concerned about parking, and I'm concerned about duplicating a business that's already there," Mary Guentner said. Parking is already stressed by the presence of Balistreri's Italian American Ristorante, which draws full houses to 812 N. 68th St. on many nights, and will be further strained by an Alterra coffeehouse expected next year at 68th and Wells.
Margie Tobakos, who owns Healing Arts, said she isn't bothered by the duplication, but is concerned with parking. She presented a petition to commission members urging them to reject Janus' move to the neighborhood.
The commission was not persuaded, and recommended approval to the Community Development Committee, which will take it up Sept. 4.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public Forum: E-cig rejection based on bias
- Thai-namite plans fall through in East Tosa
- Chili'n on the Ave. is Saturday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 11
- Chinese students seek brighter futures in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Developers want city help for Wauwatosa housing project on Underwood Ave.
- Wauwatosa's 10 Days in Tosa is in full swing
- Wauwatosa Plan Commission votes against e-cigarette store
- In retirement, Wauwatosans revive Shakespeare plays