Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
New garbage carts won't need strap to keep raccoons at bay
Issue: A reader wants to know if the new garbage cans will have a strap on the cover to keep raccoons out and if the lid will need to be unsecured in order for the trucks to pick them up.
Status: Mike Kreiter, operations superintendent in the Wauwatosa Department of Public Works, explained that the new carts will be sturdier than the recycling carts.
Each lid has a half-inch lip that comes over the body of the cart, making it fit snuggly. There is only a 4-inch spot in the front of the cart that allows the lid to be lifted. This should be sufficient to keep rodents out.
Distribution of the new carts will begin in a few weeks.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?