Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
New garbage carts won't need strap to keep raccoons at bay
Issue: A reader wants to know if the new garbage cans will have a strap on the cover to keep raccoons out and if the lid will need to be unsecured in order for the trucks to pick them up.
Status: Mike Kreiter, operations superintendent in the Wauwatosa Department of Public Works, explained that the new carts will be sturdier than the recycling carts.
Each lid has a half-inch lip that comes over the body of the cart, making it fit snuggly. There is only a 4-inch spot in the front of the cart that allows the lid to be lifted. This should be sufficient to keep rodents out.
Distribution of the new carts will begin in a few weeks.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?
- Ask Now: Will the city fix 68th Street between State Street and Milwaukee Avenue?
- Ask Now: Why is there snow on the sidewalk on a stretch along Potter Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will North Avenue west of Mayfair Road be fixed?
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: How does the Peony Restaurant stay open?
- Ask Now: What is happening to the lagoon area north of Burleigh Street on the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: What does the city earn, or lose, on its recycling program?
- Ask Now: Why are North Avenue bike lanes wearing away so soon?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?