Jerry Merz distinguished himself as a successful first-year coach as he helped lead a team of 10 Wauwatosa West students to a third-place finish at last week's annual Rube Goldberg competition at Waukesha County Technical College.
Not only that - the group was named Rookie of the Year.
Merz was pleased with the first-time effort against 22 other schools.
"Everyone felt great because the judges said they could not remember a time when a team placed in the top three and won the rookie award," Merz said. "When we started the day, the students looked around and thought the other teams were really prepared. I told them so were we."
The challenge and incentive
Preparation paid off. This year's challenge was to blow up a balloon and pop it using an imaginative contraption. The West students used a Batman theme with a Gotham City motif.
"By the time we left the competition and came back to the school, the students were already planning to be part of the competition next year," Merz said. "Their success made them more enthusiastic to do it again."
Merz, who owns a computer tech company, advises the district on science and technology curriculum, including the aerospace program and the STEM school, which emphasizes science, technology, engineering and math.
Rube Goldberg contests can be traced to 1949 on college campuses. Goldberg drew cartoons depicting complicated machines performing simple tasks in indirect ways.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Bob Simi, new director at Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, sees opportunities for development
- How 205 immigrants became citizens at the State Fair Park last week
- Newly designed NICU at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin creates homelike environment
- Wauwatosa breaks out its holiday cheer
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ethnic foods unite Eisenhower fifth-graders for pre-Thanksgiving feast
- Found in possession of stolen jewelry, Wauwatosa's Gold Emporium could lose license
- Ice skating to return to Center Street Park on Wauwatosa border after decades away
- U.S. Naval Academy midshipman educates young minds at Our Redeemer Lutheran School