Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What can be done about snowy sidewalks?
Issue: A reader noticed that the sidewalk on the south side of Watertown Plank Road between the fire station and Crowne Plaza Hotel was not shoveled in a timely manner after a recent snowfall. She wants to know who is responsible for that area of sidewalk, and whether there is anything that can be done to get it cleaned up.
Status: Ken Walbrant, parks and forestry superintendent, explained that the city polices major avenues such as Bluemound Road, Burleigh Street, Mayfair Road and North Avenue to make sure sidewalks are shoveled by noon the day after a snowfall.
However, the city does not monitor sidewalks along smaller roads and relies on residents to report issues about those sidewalks, Walbrant said. If a resident notices a sidewalk that is not shoveled, he should contact the parks office at (414) 471-8420 and the city will notify the person responsible for the property. If the sidewalk isn't shoveled within 24 hours, the city will clear it and charge the owner of the property. Watertown Plank Road is an area that is monitored on a complaint basis, Walbrant explained.
The county used to be responsible for clearing the section of sidewalk the reader is wondering about, and it only recently became the Crowne Plaza's responsibility, Walbrant said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?
- Ask NOW: Should Tosans be concerned about coyotes?
- Ask NOW: Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair Mall closed?
- Ask NOW: Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
- Ask NOW: When will the house near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
- Ask NOW: How does the city decide which sidewalk squares to replace?
- Ask NOW: When will the city provide more off-street parking for North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will the Watertown Plank Road reconstruction project include converting the coal plant?
- Ask NOW: What's happening with the Smoothie Stop building?
- Ask NOW: Loose board on railroad overpass worries reader
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cleaning storm sewer grates?
- Ask NOW: Is there a limit to how many rummage sales one residence can hold?
- Ask NOW: Why are dogs allowed at Hart Park playground?
- Ask NOW: Why did the launch site for Wauwatosa's fireworks move?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the dip at northbound ramp at Highway 45 and Swan Boulevard being fixed?
- Ask NOW: Will the land to the west of the recently completed Hart Park bridge at 70th Street be re-landscaped?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue be repaved and its bridges rebuilt?