Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What can be done about snowy sidewalks?
Issue: A reader noticed that the sidewalk on the south side of Watertown Plank Road between the fire station and Crowne Plaza Hotel was not shoveled in a timely manner after a recent snowfall. She wants to know who is responsible for that area of sidewalk, and whether there is anything that can be done to get it cleaned up.
Status: Ken Walbrant, parks and forestry superintendent, explained that the city polices major avenues such as Bluemound Road, Burleigh Street, Mayfair Road and North Avenue to make sure sidewalks are shoveled by noon the day after a snowfall.
However, the city does not monitor sidewalks along smaller roads and relies on residents to report issues about those sidewalks, Walbrant said. If a resident notices a sidewalk that is not shoveled, he should contact the parks office at (414) 471-8420 and the city will notify the person responsible for the property. If the sidewalk isn't shoveled within 24 hours, the city will clear it and charge the owner of the property. Watertown Plank Road is an area that is monitored on a complaint basis, Walbrant explained.
The county used to be responsible for clearing the section of sidewalk the reader is wondering about, and it only recently became the Crowne Plaza's responsibility, Walbrant said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?