Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What can be done about snowy sidewalks?
Issue: A reader noticed that the sidewalk on the south side of Watertown Plank Road between the fire station and Crowne Plaza Hotel was not shoveled in a timely manner after a recent snowfall. She wants to know who is responsible for that area of sidewalk, and whether there is anything that can be done to get it cleaned up.
Status: Ken Walbrant, parks and forestry superintendent, explained that the city polices major avenues such as Bluemound Road, Burleigh Street, Mayfair Road and North Avenue to make sure sidewalks are shoveled by noon the day after a snowfall.
However, the city does not monitor sidewalks along smaller roads and relies on residents to report issues about those sidewalks, Walbrant said. If a resident notices a sidewalk that is not shoveled, he should contact the parks office at (414) 471-8420 and the city will notify the person responsible for the property. If the sidewalk isn't shoveled within 24 hours, the city will clear it and charge the owner of the property. Watertown Plank Road is an area that is monitored on a complaint basis, Walbrant explained.
The county used to be responsible for clearing the section of sidewalk the reader is wondering about, and it only recently became the Crowne Plaza's responsibility, Walbrant said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?
- Ask Now: Will the city fix 68th Street between State Street and Milwaukee Avenue?
- Ask Now: Why is there snow on the sidewalk on a stretch along Potter Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will North Avenue west of Mayfair Road be fixed?
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: How does the Peony Restaurant stay open?
- Ask Now: What is happening to the lagoon area north of Burleigh Street on the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: What does the city earn, or lose, on its recycling program?
- Ask Now: Why are North Avenue bike lanes wearing away so soon?