Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What can be done about snowy sidewalks?
Issue: A reader noticed that the sidewalk on the south side of Watertown Plank Road between the fire station and Crowne Plaza Hotel was not shoveled in a timely manner after a recent snowfall. She wants to know who is responsible for that area of sidewalk, and whether there is anything that can be done to get it cleaned up.
Status: Ken Walbrant, parks and forestry superintendent, explained that the city polices major avenues such as Bluemound Road, Burleigh Street, Mayfair Road and North Avenue to make sure sidewalks are shoveled by noon the day after a snowfall.
However, the city does not monitor sidewalks along smaller roads and relies on residents to report issues about those sidewalks, Walbrant said. If a resident notices a sidewalk that is not shoveled, he should contact the parks office at (414) 471-8420 and the city will notify the person responsible for the property. If the sidewalk isn't shoveled within 24 hours, the city will clear it and charge the owner of the property. Watertown Plank Road is an area that is monitored on a complaint basis, Walbrant explained.
The county used to be responsible for clearing the section of sidewalk the reader is wondering about, and it only recently became the Crowne Plaza's responsibility, Walbrant said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why is Underwood Creek bright green?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to the traffic light at Harwood and Glenview avenues?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are some right lanes striped?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why aren't my neighborhood's trees being trimmed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?