Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What can be done about snowy sidewalks?
Issue: A reader noticed that the sidewalk on the south side of Watertown Plank Road between the fire station and Crowne Plaza Hotel was not shoveled in a timely manner after a recent snowfall. She wants to know who is responsible for that area of sidewalk, and whether there is anything that can be done to get it cleaned up.
Status: Ken Walbrant, parks and forestry superintendent, explained that the city polices major avenues such as Bluemound Road, Burleigh Street, Mayfair Road and North Avenue to make sure sidewalks are shoveled by noon the day after a snowfall.
However, the city does not monitor sidewalks along smaller roads and relies on residents to report issues about those sidewalks, Walbrant said. If a resident notices a sidewalk that is not shoveled, he should contact the parks office at (414) 471-8420 and the city will notify the person responsible for the property. If the sidewalk isn't shoveled within 24 hours, the city will clear it and charge the owner of the property. Watertown Plank Road is an area that is monitored on a complaint basis, Walbrant explained.
The county used to be responsible for clearing the section of sidewalk the reader is wondering about, and it only recently became the Crowne Plaza's responsibility, Walbrant said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can homeowners dispute sidewalk replacement decisions?
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?