Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What can be done about snowy sidewalks?
Issue: A reader noticed that the sidewalk on the south side of Watertown Plank Road between the fire station and Crowne Plaza Hotel was not shoveled in a timely manner after a recent snowfall. She wants to know who is responsible for that area of sidewalk, and whether there is anything that can be done to get it cleaned up.
Status: Ken Walbrant, parks and forestry superintendent, explained that the city polices major avenues such as Bluemound Road, Burleigh Street, Mayfair Road and North Avenue to make sure sidewalks are shoveled by noon the day after a snowfall.
However, the city does not monitor sidewalks along smaller roads and relies on residents to report issues about those sidewalks, Walbrant said. If a resident notices a sidewalk that is not shoveled, he should contact the parks office at (414) 471-8420 and the city will notify the person responsible for the property. If the sidewalk isn't shoveled within 24 hours, the city will clear it and charge the owner of the property. Watertown Plank Road is an area that is monitored on a complaint basis, Walbrant explained.
The county used to be responsible for clearing the section of sidewalk the reader is wondering about, and it only recently became the Crowne Plaza's responsibility, Walbrant said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?