A 32-year-old Wauwatosa father was arrested for child abuse last week after his daughter showed a teacher the welts that formed after a beating with an electrical cord.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The Longfellow Middle School student was visibly upset Jan. 3, so her teacher asked her what was wrong. The girl showed the teacher bruises on her arms, legs, back and neck that came from a whipping.
School staff called the Bureau of Child Welfare and police officers talked to the family.
The girl's mother had discovered the girl had exchanged more than 100 sexually explicit text messages with several boys she had met on Facebook.
They were playing the game "Sex Ed," in which one acts as the teacher, asking questions about body parts or sex acts, and the other answers the questions.
Her mother confiscated her iPod Touch and found the girl had used a fake name and personal information to open a Facebook account, which her parents hadn't authorized.
She was sent to her room while her parents discussed the situation. Eventually, her father arrived with an electrical cord he had looped into a whip. He struck her five to 10 times.
He said he didn't believe the punishment was wrong, because his daughters' actions had disappointed him severely.
She said she had been whipped once prior following rumors made by a boy in her class.
- Stefanie Scott
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- State Reps. Hutton and Kooyenga hold town hall meetings in Wauwatosa
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington County ranks among healthier counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?