A 32-year-old Wauwatosa father was arrested for child abuse last week after his daughter showed a teacher the welts that formed after a beating with an electrical cord.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The Longfellow Middle School student was visibly upset Jan. 3, so her teacher asked her what was wrong. The girl showed the teacher bruises on her arms, legs, back and neck that came from a whipping.
School staff called the Bureau of Child Welfare and police officers talked to the family.
The girl's mother had discovered the girl had exchanged more than 100 sexually explicit text messages with several boys she had met on Facebook.
They were playing the game "Sex Ed," in which one acts as the teacher, asking questions about body parts or sex acts, and the other answers the questions.
Her mother confiscated her iPod Touch and found the girl had used a fake name and personal information to open a Facebook account, which her parents hadn't authorized.
She was sent to her room while her parents discussed the situation. Eventually, her father arrived with an electrical cord he had looped into a whip. He struck her five to 10 times.
He said he didn't believe the punishment was wrong, because his daughters' actions had disappointed him severely.
She said she had been whipped once prior following rumors made by a boy in her class.
- Stefanie Scott
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Vape Haven rejected by Common Council
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Sept. 18
- Wauwatosa West has 11 National Merit semifinalists; Tosa East shut out
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 18
- Public Forum: E-cig rejection based on bias
- Thai-namite plans fall through in East Tosa
- Chili'n on the Ave. is Saturday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 11
- Chinese students seek brighter futures in Wauwatosa